It (1986)

by Stephen King

17,596352197 (4.07)1 / 582
They were seven teenagers when they first stumbled upon the horror. Now they were grown-up men and women who had gone out into the big world to gain success and happiness. But none of them could withstand the force that drew them back to Derry, Maine to face the nightmare without an end, and the evil without a name.… (more)
Recently added bylokalove, orsoblu, Arina42, private library, mforrest, jwaldeck83
    Summer of Night by Dan Simmons (amyblue, msouliere)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Locke)
    Locke: Both novels deal with themes of childhood horrors and coming of age. Both have a subtle melancholy tone!
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    The Guardians by Andrew Pyper (lippylibrarian)
    lippylibrarian: Both books feature a group of childhood friends returning to face the horrors of their small hometown after the suicide of a close friend.
    Phantoms by Dean Koontz (caimanjosh)
    caimanjosh: Koontz's take on the shape-shifting monster is more scientific, less epic/supernatural, but entertaining too.
    NOS4A2: A Novel by Joe Hill (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Malevolent entities that prey upon children are the driving force of these creepy, suspenseful horror stories. In both novels, only adults lucky enough to escape the villain's clutches in childhood are later able to battle the evil when it returns.… (more)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Stinger by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Straight on 'Til Morning by Christopher Golden (mniday)
    The Glister by John Burnside (Jthierer)
    Vigilantes #1: Het teken by Gaudin (comtso)
    comtso: Des amis d'enfance, devenus adultes, se retrouvent pour affronter un ennemi de leur passé. Pour réussir, ils doivent retrouver ce en quoi ils croyaient enfants.
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (Mannivu)
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are about a small town infected by an evil influence.
    Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2810michael)
    The Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliott (ShelfMonkey)
1980s (19)

English (333)  Italian (5)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (350)
This is about the monster in the closet. Or under the bed. The eyes you feel watching you when no one is there. It has been good entertainment. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
Enjoyed reading this after watching the movie. Now I'm going back to re-watch it, so I can find the differences.
  LuckyWitter | Apr 22, 2021 |
4.25* ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Jesus Christ, I'm soo glad to have finally finished this. It was way too long and contained far too many instances of the author's tendency to go of on a complete tangent for entire chapters, or longer.

If I could get hold of either the author or the editor for just a little while I'd see it as my duty to slap 'em around a bit. They both deserve it!

It's all such a shame too, since it could have been much more enjoyable if only for a bloody good editing job. If only the editor had had the guts to simply go through it with a hatchet and hack great swathes of bloat out of the text it would have been a much more enjoyable book. The characters were wonderfully portrayed, the story wasn't the most original but was very well written(if the bloat is ignored) and if it hadn't been for that bloat I keep mentioning I'd have remained immersed in the story a lot more and so would have felt that nice creepiness for a much greater part of the book.

A wasted opportunity. A good editor could, no should, have made this something special. ( )
2 vote SFGale | Mar 23, 2021 |
This is one of the most special books I own; it was one of the last books my mom bought me before she passed, and she was so proud of herself for finally finding a copy. I usually end up rereading this book when I don't know what else to read or need to read a comfort book, and at this point, it's barely kept together. Considering my fear of clowns, I'm really not sure how this ended up as a comfort read, but I end up reading it at least once a year at this point. Each time I read it, I notice a detail I either forgot or didn't catch the last time I read it.

It is tied with The Green Mile for my favorite King book (at least for now.) There were very few parts that failed to hold my attention from start to end, excluding those scenes. This is one of the books that genuinely freak me out at times, which doesn't happen very often. I did get a bit frustrated with the length, especially considering I didn't have much time to read it with schoolwork, but it's definitely worth the time spent reading.

I have mixed feelings about the characters, but I will say the character development is great - for the most part. I didn't particularly like Beverly as a child, even less so after reading that scene, but I loved her as an adult. However, I preferred Bill as a child and despised him as an adult. Either way, he was my least favorite Loser. I do wish we saw more of Stan, as he's always been my favorite King character.

The plot itself was very entertaining and creepy, though some things felt completely unnecessary, particularly the sewer scene and the sexual scene between Henry and Patrick. Though it was uncomfortable to read, the violence Patrick showed did give the story more depth in my opinion; it showed how cruel he was, which I thought was a big part of his character.

There are some extremely dark and triggering themes in this book, including racism, homophobia, and rape, so if you plan on reading it, take that into consideration. If those things don't bother you too bad, I do highly recommend the book; it has been and always will be my favorite horror/King novel. It can be a bit intimidating, but it's so worth the effort of reading it. ( )
  angeljmartin | Mar 12, 2021 |

Rekiaro, PäiviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It (1990IMDb)
It (2017IMDb)
"This old town been home long as I remember, This town gonna be here long after I'm gone. East side west side take a close look 'round her, You been down but you're still in my bones." -- The Michael Stanley Band
"Old friend, what are you looking for? After those many years abroad you come With images you tended Under foreign skies Far away from your own land." -- George Seferis
"Out of the blue and into the black." -- Neil Young
This book is gratefully dedicated to my children.
My mother and my wife taught me how to be a man. My children taught me how to be free.

Naomi Rachel King, at fourteen;

Joseph Hillstrom King, at twelve;

Owen Philip King, at seven.

Kids, fiction is the truth inside the lie, and the truth of this fiction is simple enough: the magic exists

S.K.
The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years - if it ever did end - began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat made out of a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with rain.
Be true, be brave, stand. All the rest is darkness.
We all float down here.
If there are certain preconditions for the use of magic, then those preconditions will inevitably arrange themselves.
“A child blind from birth doesn't even know he's blind until someone tells him. Even then
he has only the most academic idea of what blindness is; only the formerly sighted have a
real grip on the thing”
“We lie
best when we lie to ourselves.”

Seven children band together to fight a creature that has been feeding off the fears of the people in the small town of Derry for generations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,972,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible