HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Loving Frank

by Nancy Horan

4,3252072,366 (3.66)244
Fact and fiction blend in a historical novel that chronicles the relationship between seminal architect Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Cheney, from their meeting, when they were each married to another, to the clandestine affair that shocked Chicago society.

English (202)  French (2)  German (1)  All languages (205)
I appreciated learning about the lives of both Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Borthwick, his partner until her murder at age 45. The times, attitudes, and prejudices were presented well. I would have liked more background on the villain, as I believe there are many of the same issues today as there were in the U.S. in 1914. The feminist ideas were also an interesting history of the movement both here and abroad. ( )
  suesbooks | Jan 1, 2023 |
bookclub book
  PatLibrary123 | Aug 9, 2022 |
Fascinating story. Even though I have admired Frank Lloyd Wright I never knew the sad story of Taliesin. ( )
  PattyLee | Dec 14, 2021 |
Didn't Read
  lrobe190 | Sep 5, 2021 |
As someone who wed at the Nineteenth Century Woman's Club and lived among Frank Lloyd Wright's commissions, I appreciated the writer's imagining of Mamah Borthwick Cheney's world and the pain that must have attended her attraction to Oak Park's most famous resident. One implicit 21st-century parallel was not imagined: The publisher's website reproduces Chicago Tribune clippings from 1909 that suggest that the yellow press was alive and primping for its tabloid future.
  rynk | Jul 11, 2021 |

Horan, Nancyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bean, JoyceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

One lives but once in the world.
~Johann Wolfgang von Goeth
For Kevin
It was Edwin who wanted to build a new house.
Mamah describes Wright as someone who, "had come to mistake his gift for the whole of his character."
"The measure of a man's culture is the measure of his appreciation," he said.
"I'm like the truck of a cactus, I suppose," she told him. "I take in a dose of culture and time with friends, then I retreat and go live on it for a while until I get thirsty again. It's not good to live so much inside oneself. It's a self-imposed exile, really. It make you different."
Tell me everything. He might as well have said, "Take off your dress."
"Oh, I was just the right age then, I think. Smarter than I ever was before or since."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,780,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible