Loving Frank: A Novel by Nancy Horan

Loving Frank: A Novel

by Nancy Horan

English (184)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (186)
Powerful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I highly recommend this one! I didn't think I would like it as much as I did!The story is consistent in its "speed" throughout the book. But the end comes up so fast and ends so quickly,it left me breathless. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
may 2013
  MatkaBoska | Jun 15, 2016 |
Loving Frank – Nancy Horan –narrated by Joyce Bean
4 stars
Loving Frank is a detailed historical fiction about the love affair of Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Borthwick Cheney. It is Mamah’s story of the advent of the affair and its life-changing consequences. Nancy Horan has done a devastating job of portraying Mamah’s struggle for self- realization and her grief at the overwhelming consequences of her decisions. It isn’t a happy story. The love affair made headline news in a time when divorce was very much a social scandal. Frank Lloyd Wright was a genius, but he was also selfish, self- involved and completely irresponsible in his spending habits. The sad thing about reading this story was that I couldn’t even hope for an eventually happy outcome. I knew the history of the tragic ending.
It was, however, a very interesting book. It gave me insight into the “woman” movement in America and Europe. Mamah Borthwick was an extremely educated woman. She spoke 4 or 5 languages and had a master’s degree, but as a divorced woman she was unable to earn a living because no one would hire her.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
This was another one of those books where I had a hard time reading the book because I just did not like the characters. As a mother, I cannot imagine ever choosing a man over my children. I felt like Mamah may have chosen a different life as much as a different man. The middle section of the book really drags but the ending is gripping, even when you already know how the story will end. Ms. Horan has clearly done a lot of research; I wish her editor had done a lot more editing. Not everything you learn needs to be included in a book. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
One lives but once in the world.
~Johann Wolfgang von Goeth
For Kevin
It was Edwin who wanted to build a new house.
Mamah describes Wright as someone who, "had come to mistake his gift for the whole of his character."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345495004, Paperback)

Amazon Significant Seven, August 2007: It's a rare treasure to find a historically imagined novel that is at once fully versed in the facts and unafraid of weaving those truths into a story that dares to explore the unanswered questions. Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Cheney's love story is--as many early reviews of Loving Frank have noted--little-known and often dismissed as scandal. In Nancy Horan's skillful hands, however, what you get is two fully realized people, entirely, irrepressibly, in love. Together, Frank and Mamah are a wholly modern portrait, and while you can easily imagine them in the here and now, it's their presence in the world of early 20th century America that shades how authentic and, ultimately, tragic their story is. Mamah's bright, earnest spirit is particularly tender in the context of her time and place, which afforded her little opportunity to realize the intellectual life for which she yearned. Loving Frank is a remarkable literary achievement, tenderly acute and even-handed in even the most heartbreaking moments, and an auspicious debut from a writer to watch. --Anne Bartholomew

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:58 -0400)

Fact and fiction blend in a historical novel that chronicles the relationship between seminal architect Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Cheney, from their meeting, when they were each married to another, to the clandestine affair that shocked Chicago society.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,449,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible