Antaeus No. 73/74, Spring 1994 - Who’s Writing This: Notations on the… (1994)

by Daniel Halpern (Editor & Preface)

Other authors: Margaret Atwood (Contributor), Josef Škvorecký (Contributor), David Baker (Contributor), Russell Banks (Contributor), Bruce Beasley (Contributor)43 more, Madison Smartt Bell (Contributor), Roy Blount, Jr. (Contributor), Jorge Luis Borges (Contributor), Rosellen Brown (Contributor), Charles Bukowski (Contributor), Peter Bush (Translator), David Curzon (Contributor), Guy Davenport (Contributor), Deborah Digges (Contributor), T. Colin Dodd (Contributor), Stephen Dunn (Contributor), John Fowles (Contributor), Zulfikar Ghose (Contributor), Allan Gurganus (Contributor), John Hawkes (Contributor), Friedrich Hölderlin (Contributor), Jane Hirshfield (Contributor), Karl Kirchwey (Contributor), Ed Koren (Contributor), Thomas Lux (Contributor), William Matthews (Contributor), Czesław Miłosz (Contributor), Arthur Miller (Contributor), Steven Millhauser (Contributor), Mary Morris (Contributor), Thylias Moss (Contributor), Laura Mullen (Contributor), Joyce Carol Oates (Contributor), Alicia Ostriker (Contributor), Cynthia Ozick (Contributor), Francine Prose (Contributor), Lawrence Raab (Contributor), Alastair Reid (Translator), Donald Revell (Contributor), James Seay (Contributor), Luis Sepulveda (Contributor), Charles Simic (Contributor), Jane Smiley (Contributor), Elizabeth Spencer (Contributor), Melanie Rae Thon (Contributor), Frederick Tibbetts (Contributor), John Updike (Contributor), Helen Vendler (Contributor)

Series: Antaeus (73/74)

Vendler, HelenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Antaeus (73/74)
{Note:
The following epigraph may appear in Handler's similarly-titled 1995 anthology, rather than to the Spring 1994 volume of Antæus magazine, No. 73/74.}

As I ebbed with the ocean of life,
As I wended the shores I know,
As I walked where the sea-riplles wash you, Paumanok,
Where they rustle up, hoarse and sibilant,
Where the fierce old mother endlessly cries for her castaways,
I, musing, late in the autumn day, gazing off southward,
Alone, held by the eternal self of me that threatens to get the better of me, and stifle me,
Was seized by the spirit that trails in the lines underfoot,
In the rim, the sediment, that stands for all the water and all the land of the globe.

Fascinated, my eyes, reverting from the south, dropped, to follow those slender windrows,
Chaff, straw, splinters of wood, weeds, and the sea-gluten,
Scum, scales from shining rocks, leaves of salt-lettuce, left by the tide,
Miles walking, the sound of breaking waves the other side of me,
Paumanok, there and then, as I thought the old thought of likenesses,
These you presented to me, you fish-shaped island,
As I wended the shores I know,
As I walked with that eternal self of me, seeking types.

-Walt Whitman
Who is doing the writing?
This LT Work is the Spring 1994 volume of Antæus magazine, No. 73/74, edited by Daniel Halpern. It includes selections from 46 Authors, some of which are shared but are not entirely the same as Halpern's similarly titled anthology, Who’s Writing This? Notations on the Authorial I, with Self-Portraits, published separately as a retail hardcover (1995) and reissued in trade paperback format (2009). Please maintain our distinction between these different Works. Thank you.

Who's writing this: notes on the authorial I: Why who? a preface / Daniel Halpern -- Borges and I / Joprge Luis Borges -- Me, she, and it / Margaret Atwood -- R (& I) / Russell Banks -- Blount, Borges, and I / Roy Blount Jr. -- Who is the reader in that ring of light? / Rosellen Brown -- Keeping time / Guy Davenport -- The J.R. Fowles Club / John Fowles -- The fertile "we" of one chaste "I" / Allan Gurganus -- Hawkes and Hawkes / John Hawkes -- My appendage / Ed Koren -- The complaint / William Matthews -- Arthur Miller / Arthur Miller -- My double / Czeslaw Milosz -- My persona and me / Mary Morris -- My better half / Thylias Moss -- "JCO" and I / Joyce Carol Oates -- The break / Cynthia Ozick -- She and I ... and someone else / Francine Prose -- Mitty and me / Josef Skvorecky -- Borges, JCO, you, and me / Jane Smiley -- Updike and I / John Updike -- The I of writing / Helen Vendler. Fiction. The hunt / Luis Sepulveda -- Three lovers / Madison Smartt Bell -- A Mediterranean tale / Zulfikar Ghose -- First, body / Melanie Rae Thon -- The runaways / Elizabeth Spencer -- Injury / T. Colin Dodd. Poetry. Tombs of the Muses / Deborah Digges -- Something like happiness / Stephen Dunn --All day / Lawrence Rabb -- After the reunion / Lawrence Ostriker -- musings [sic] / Charles Bukowski -- Drive / Laura Mullen -- Onomatopoeia / Thomas Lux -- Ultrasound / Bruce Beasley -- Instructions from the Mustard seed manual on Chinese landscape painting -- Yellow lilies and cypress swamp / David Baker -- Once divided / Donald Revell -- Cycladic figure: the harp player (ca. 3000 B.C.E.) / Jane Hirshfield -- Before the revolution / Frederick Tibbetts -- Arcadia / Karl Kirchwey -- To nature / Friedrich Holderlin. Documents. Heroes / James Seay -- Don't squeeze the tomatoes / Charles Simic -- Sone thoughts on Tonio Kroger / Steven Millhauser.

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,005,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible