The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories by…

The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories

by Peter Haining (Editor)

Other authors: Joan Aiken (Contributor), Elizabeth Albright (Contributor), Louisa Baldwin (Contributor), E. F. Benson (Contributor), Algernon Blackwood (Contributor)32 more, Robert Bloch (Contributor), Ray Bradbury (Contributor), Edward Bulwer-Lytton (Contributor), Ramsey Campbell (Contributor), A. E. Coppard (Contributor), Basil Copper (Contributor), Ralph Adams Cram (Contributor), Herbert de Hamel (Contributor), Richard Dehan (Contributor), Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Contributor), Mary Eleanor Wilkins Freeman (Contributor), Ellen Glasgow (Contributor), L. P. Hartley (Contributor), W. F. Harvey (Contributor), James Herbert (Contributor), William Hope Hodgson (Contributor), Richard Hughes (Contributor), W. W. Jacobs (Contributor), M. R. James (Contributor), Nigel Kneale (Contributor), Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (Contributor), Penelope Lively (Contributor), Norah Lofts (Contributor), Thorp McClusky (Contributor), William F. Nolan (Contributor), Ruth Rendell (Contributor), Charlotte Riddell (Contributor), H. Russell Wakefield (Contributor), Hugh Walpole (Contributor), Ian Watson (Contributor), Fay Weldon (Contributor), Virginia Woolf (Contributor)

Series: Mammoth Horror

I love ghost stories. I particularly like haunted house stories. Hell House, The Canterville Ghost and The Shunned House being among my favorites. This is a great collection of haunted house stories. There are a few bad tales in here but they are easily out numbered by the well written stories. Really recommend this book. ( )
  Arkrayder | Mar 9, 2019 |
I am not a fan of short stories, but saw this in the library and thought I would try it. I enjoy spending a lot of time with characters. Having to learn new names and situations as the case when starting a new short story is not enjoyable to me. This book had four stories I would rate one star; 10 stories I would rate two and three stars (total 20); and then six stories I would rate four stars. I was not excited about the book and after six weeks there were four or five more short stories left. I returned the book to the library. Maybe I will get it again. The four star stories were Eavesdropping by Algernon Blackwood, Ghost Hunt by H. Russell Wakefield; Feet Foremost by L.P. Hartley; House Hatchet by Robert Block; The Patter of Tiny Feet by Nigel Kneale, and Playing with Fire by Sir Arthur Canon Doyle.
190 members; 3.58 average rating; 11/4/2016 ( )
  mainrun | Dec 13, 2016 |
From Amazon:

xpanded and with great new stories, this is the biggest and best anthology of ghostly hauntings ever. Over 40 tales of visitation by the undead - from vengeful and violent spirits, set on causing harm to innocent people tucked up in their homes, to rarer and more kindly ghosts, returning from the grave to reach out across the other side. Yet others entertain desires of a more sinister bent, including the erotic. This new edition includes a selection of favourite haunted house tales chosen by famous screen stars Boris Karloff, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Plus a top ranking list of contributors that includes Stephen King, Bram Stoker, Ruth Rendell, and James Herbert - all brought together by an anthologist who himself lives in a haunted house. Stories include: Something unspeakable lurks in a Connecticut apartment closet, in Stephen King's 'The Boogeyman'; An Irish castle holds something truly horrifying in wait, in 'The Whistling Room' by William Hope Hodgson; The lecherous old ghost of a Georgian country house eyes up his latest tenant, in Norah Lofts' 'Mr Edward'; An ancient mansion on a shelf of rock previously occupied by a doomed castle, in 'In Letters of Fire' by Gaston Le Roux; The hunter is hunted in James Herbert's tale of nineteenth-century country mansion, 'The Ghost Hunter'; Psychic phenomena and poltergeists, avenging spirits and phantom lovers - curl up and read on, but never imagine you are safe from a visit.

My Thoughts:

I picked up this huge book for the Stephen King entry but found myself paging through some of the others. I will admit that I dd not read the ENTIRE book but what I did read was entertaining and very enjoyable especially for those that really love a well told/written ghost story. The book is divided up into categories, which was nice. Example: Haunted Places; Avenging Spirits; Little Terrors (ghost and children)...you get the idea. Other than Stephen Kings offereing, "The Boogeyman" some others that were very good were James Herbert's "The Ghost Hunter", Penelope Lively's "Uninvited Ghosts", Ramsey Campbell's "Napier Court", and Charlotte Riddell's "The Old House In Vauxhall Walk". I'm going to get the book again when I have a bit more time to read it...it's almost 700 pages of fairly small print... but I believe any true ghost story lover will find ample goosebump material in these pages. ( )
1 vote Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The beauty of this substantial anthology is that Peter Haining has deliberately chosen stories that not many readers would have come across before, introducing a whole host of previously unknown authors and a wide variety of styles and time periods, thereby allowing us to dip in and out at leisure and being rewarded with a very entertaining way to pass the time, preferably at night, and some genuine chills, notably Stephen Kings "The Boogeyman", H. Russell Wakefield's "Ghost Hunt", W. W. Jacobs' "The Toll-House", Basil Copper's "The Grey House" and Bram Stoker's "The Judge's House"; the sense of menace and impending doom is almost palpable. There are some gentler examples too, Penelope Lively's comic "Uninvited Ghosts" and Hugh Walpole's touching "A Little Ghost". The stories are categorised and divided into different sections: Haunted Places, Avenging Spirits, Shadowy Corners, Phantom Lovers, Little Terrors, Psychic Phenomena and Houses of Horror, and each is preceded by a brief introduction by Peter Haining, giving the reader some information about the author and the time period it is set in, as well as a mock estate agent's summary about the property. Some work better than others but that is only to be expected when covering such a wide range. Thoroughly recommended. ( )
1 vote passion4reading | Jul 16, 2012 |
This is a pretty solid survey of English-language haunted house stories. Each of the stories in the collection is preceded by a "prospectus" that gives a bit of background on the author and the story and a brief description of the house as if one were viewing it through a real estate agent (i.e., the author). This is a little cutesey, but the actual information in the prospectus...es is pretty interesting if not all that essential.

The edition is plagued by typos and poor copy-editing, but the stories themselves are really good. Most of them are appropriately creepy, and some of them are very funny. It's an enjoyable if inessential read; diverting and insubstantial. Probably not worth paying full price for, but I picked it up remaindered for two dollars, which I consider to have been well spent. ( )
1 vote upstairsgirl | Apr 20, 2011 |

Leroux, GastonContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malmar, McKnightContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stoker, BramContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, H. G.Contributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"When I was dead, my spirit turned

To seek the much-frequented house."

Christina Rossetti, 1866
"In general, ghosts are a plus point in marketing a house, either for sale or as a tourist attraction."

Daily Telegraph, 25 June 1994
For my daughter

GEMMA

who has lived in a haunted house all her life

Spooky goings-on
In all manners of houses
And time periods.
(passion4reading)

Expanded with great new stories, this is the biggest and best anthology of ghostly hauntings ever. Over 40 tales of visitation by the undead—from vengeful and violent spirits, set on causing harm to innocent people tucked up in their homes, to rarer and more kindly ghosts, returning from the grave to reach out across the other side. Yet others entertain desires of a more sinister bent, including the erotic. This new edition includes a selection of favorite haunted house tales chosen by famous screen stars such as Boris Karloff, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. In addition, a top ranking list of contributors includes Stephen King, Bram Stoker, Ruth Rendell, and James Herbert—all brought together by an anthologist who himself lives in a haunted house.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:28 -0400)

The biggest and best anthology of ghostly hauntings ever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,793,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible