Nine Princes In Amber by Roger Zelazny

Nine Princes In Amber (1970)

by Roger Zelazny

2,462612,495 (3.99)3 / 128
    The Well-Favored Man by Elizabeth Willey (saturnine13, aqualectrix)
    saturnine13: Similar in that they both feature many different interconnected worlds, family drama, and first person perspective.
    Lyonesse by Jack Vance (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: another modern telling of fairy tales, Amber and Lyonnesse have quite a bit in common and may appeal the same readers.
    The Maker of Universes by Philip José Farmer (Amtep)
    Amtep: Those who are fascinated by the Amber universe may find the seeds of many of its ideas in Farmer's Maker of Universes and the other World of Tiers books.
    WebMage by Kelly McCullough (aqualectrix)
    aqualectrix: McCullough's world of cyberpunk-magic has a very similar feel to Zelazny's Amber series.
    The dark world by Henry Kuttner (bluetyson)
    bluetyson: Also the rest of the five Corwin books by Zelazny, especially The Guns Of Avalon.
    The Illustrated Roger Zelazny by Roger Zelazny (LadyDarbanville)
    Shadow & Claw: The First Half of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (Frozeninja)
    Roger Zelazny's The Dawn of Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    To Rule in Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    Chaos and Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.

English (59)  French (2)  All (61)
One of my favorites to re-read. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Full Review at Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2016/10/28/backlist-burndown-review-nine-princes-...

I was incredibly impressed by how well this book has aged. It is a portal fantasy, so parts of it are set in the “modern” day we know, but with the exception of the absence of current technology and a few references to hippies, I could not have told you when it was written. It still feels very modern even though its 40+ years old.

The story begins with Corwin, who has woken in a hospital and seems to be suffering from amnesia. Now, I have read a number of books that start with amnesia, that have decidedly not worked well for me. I am happy to say this one actually did.

As Corwin learns and remembers more, we discover alternate worlds and in particular, we learn about Amber, the ultimate world. The world that seems hardest to reach, but also the most critical to return to. In this book, I felt the relaying of information and world building worked extremely well. We got relevant information as Corwin would come across it in one way or another, and it just felt natural.

Following his journey, meeting his companions, and learning about this world, discovering how Corwin came to wake up in that hospital all made this an enjoyable reading experience.

For me, perhaps the most telling aspect of this book that hints at its age is the length (or lack there of). I feel like I have read recent novellas that were longer than this novel. And for this reason, there is still much to know and learn. But since this is the first in a series, I can’t fault the book for that. The fact that I am interested to know more is always a testament to enjoying the book. ( )
  tenaciousreader | Jan 4, 2017 |
The beginning of a series. A story of nine offspring (princes) of a parallel world of Amber. The earth is just a shadow world of Amber. This is the story of Prince Corwin who must fight his older brother Eric for the right to rule. ( )
  Kristelh | Dec 10, 2016 |
Too choppy a narrative style for my taste. Quite effective though considering. A man with amnesia discovers that he is a Prince of Amber, the True City on which all other cities are but shadows. Fights, and loses, to be the king. Ends with him fleeing after imprisonment. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I need to reread this book. I just couldn't hook into it even though it was fascinating. I couldn't find a way to fell for the chatracters. Not sure why. sometimes i have to reread o get it.
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
Corwin verliest na een auto-ongeluk zijn geheugen en probeert beetje bij beetje zijn herinnering terug te winnen. Hij komt erachter dat hij acht broers en zussen heeft en dat zij prinsen zijn die strijden om de troon van Amber. Amber is een volmaakt koninkrijk dat slechts door de negen prinsen via een geestestoestand bereikt kan worden. De aarde en de vele andere parallelle werelden zijn slechts Schaduwen van Amber. Corwin verzamelt een leger om te voorkomen dat zijn broer Eric de troon bestijgt (deel 1). Corwin verliest en vervloekt zijn broer. Deze vervloeking bedreigt Amber als demonen van Chaos het koninkrijk binnenvallen. Corwin is genoodzaakt samen met Eric te strijden tegen deze Schaduwdemonen (deel 2). Als Corwin eenmaal heerser is, vindt hij via veel omwegen de legendarische eenhoorn (deel 3). Hoewel Zelazny veel heeft gepubliceerd, ligt zijn bloeiperiode toch in de late jaren zestig en de vroege jaren zeventig met de Amber-serie als hoogtepunt. Een SF-klassieker die gelezen moet worden. Normale druk.
added by karnoefel | editNBD / Biblion

Zelazny, Rogerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Edwards, Amelia S.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juliani, AlessandroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Targete, Jean PierreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was starting to end, after what seemed most of eternity to me.

Nine Princes in Amber is the first of the 10 books that are The Chronicles of Amber; an epic fantasy series written by six-time Hugo Award winning and three-time Nebula Award winning author, Roger Zelazny.

The ten books that make up the series are told in two story arcs: The Corwin Cycle and the Merlin Cycle.

The Audible audio rendition of this classic sci-fi/fantasy series is kicked off by 2012 Audie Award nominee, Alessandro Juliani, who reads the first five books that make up the Corwin Cycle and whose narration vividly brings the world of Amber to life.

Amber is the one real world, of which all others including our own Earth are but Shadows. Amber burns in Corwin's blood. Exiled on Shadow Earth for centuries, the prince is about to return to Amber to make a mad and desperate rush upon the throne.

From Arden to the Pattern deep in Castle Amber which defines the very structure of Reality, Corwin must contend with the powers of his eight immortal brothers, all Princes of Amber. His savage path is blocked and guarded by eerie structures beyond imagining impossible realities forged by demonic assassins and staggering Forces that challenge the might of Corwin's superhuman fury.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380014300, Mass Market Paperback)

Awakening in an Earth hospital unable to remember who he is or where he came from, Corwin is amazed to learn that he is one of the sons of Oberon, King of Amber, and is the rightful successor to the crown in a parallel world. Reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:21 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,485,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible