Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural…

Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural (1944)

by Herbert Alvin Wise (Editor), Phyllis Fraser (Editor)

Other authors: Conrad Aiken (Contributor)

When this longtime Modern Library favorite--filled with fifty-two stories of heart-stopping suspense--was first published in 1944, one of its biggest fans was critic Edmund Wilson, who in The New Yorker applauded what he termed a sudden revival of the appetite for tales of horror. Represented in the anthology are such distinguished spell weavers as Edgar Allen Poe ("The Black Cat"), Wilkie Collins ("A Terribly Strange Bed"), Henry James ("Sir Edmund Orme"), Guy de Maupassant ("Was It a Dream?"), O. Henry ("The Furnished Room"), Rudyard Kipling ("They"), and H.G. Wells ("Pollock and the Porroh Man"). Included as well are such modern masters as Algernon Blackwood ("Ancient Sorceries"), Walter de la Mare ("Out of the Deep"), E.M. Forster ("The Celestial Omnibus"), Isak Dinesen ("The Sailor-Boys Tale"), H.P. Lovecraft ("The Dunwich Horror"), Dorothy L. Sayers ("Suspicion"), and Ernest Hemingway ("The Killers"). "There is not a story in this collection that does not have the breath of life, achieve the full suspension of disbelief that is so particularly important in [this] type of fiction," wrote the Saturday Review. With an introduction and notes by Phyllis Cerf Wagner and Herbert Wise.… (more)
Recently added bym.c.wade, private library, cjorthmann, mirva, astahura, ejmw
Legacy LibrariesCarson McCullers

My favorite collection of stories ever. I've read this to many times to count. This is the book that sits on my night stand. I reach for it after I've read a handful of crappy horror stories. Or after I've written a handful of crappy horror stories. ( )
2 vote imaginationzombie | Sep 28, 2014 |
I've had this forever. I should read it or something.
  beabatllori | Apr 2, 2013 |
A very wide-ranging selection --everything from Fauikner to Lovecraft. Mostly British and American nineteenth century or early 20th century, with a few French. Divided into 2 parts, Tales of Terror and Tales of the Supernatural, but many in the supernatural section are equally terrifying. The distinction seems to be the first group are not supernatural (e.g. A Rose for Emily) ( )
  antiquary | Jun 17, 2011 |
This is the single finest collection of tales of the supernatural I have ever encountered. Wall to wall classics of their kind. ( )
  tungsten_peerts | Jan 11, 2011 |
One hardly expects to be transfixed by an innocent looking Modern Library horror collection--one expects a rather dry "representative historical collection." This one though has an atmosphere about it, though . . . the lines of influence run fairly strongly through the stories of this collection. While the authors, styles and approaches to creating a sense of the uncanny are distinct, there is also something mutually reinforcing in these stories. A really great collection. ( )
1 vote ehines | Dec 5, 2010 |

Wise, Herbert AlvinEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, PhyllisEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Aiken, ConradContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-legged beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!
--Old Scotch Invocation
Introduction:  There exists for most of us a deep fascination in tales of sheer terror and the supernatural--tales dealing with beings and events that transcend the ordinary course of nature.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,982,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible