Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Anubis Gates

by Tim Powers

Series: The Anubis Gates (1)

3,4781102,837 (3.94)3 / 323
The Anubis Gate is the classic time travel novel that took the fantasy world by storm a decade ago. Only the dazzling imagination of Tim Powers could have created such as adventure.
    The Digging Leviathan by James P. Blaylock (Scottneumann, Anonymous user)
    On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers (Scottneumann)
    Homunculus by James P. Blaylock (Scottneumann)
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (Kichererbse)
    The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Anubis Gates and The Map of Time blur the line between Science Fiction and Fantasy, presenting intricately plotted time travel stories with a hint of Mystery that feature appearances by 19th-century literary figures alongside more fantastical elements.… (more)
    The Emerald Burrito of Oz by John Skipp (Scottneumann)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (LamontCranston)
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)

English (106)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (109)
This book was billed as a classic 'Steam Punk' story that helped define the genre ... the only problem here was that there was NO steam [tech:] and there was little or no punk either. In fact, the only way it fits here would be to credit the time period as Victorian (IMHO a useless expansion of the term), before mixing in a tremendous amount of magic in what should be more honestly billed as a time-travel fantasy. That said … it WAS a pretty decent time-travel story :)

The story opens with a magical spell gone wrong which tears holes [gates:] in the time-continuum which serves of the principle mechanism for the subsequent time-travel activities. Powers does a masterful job of weaving two intriguing plotlines … one from the future 20th century and one based in the host 19th century … both of which revolve around the protagonist, one Brendan Doyle, a mediocre 20th century scholar specializing in an obscure 19th century poet (whom he hopes to meet). Not long into the tale, Doyle becomes stranded in the past where he struggles to survive in the dark underworld of London beggars while avoiding capture by the local gypsies who fear he may upset their own schemes. Along the way we are introduced to a system of magic that is at once extremely limited when in connection with the earth and tremendously powerful (the ability to make a virtual army of homunculi, or ka’s, is really over the top IMHO). Stir in a body snatching werewolf, an Egyptian god or two, a secret society, a few elemental spirits, and the real story behind the Punch and Judy puppets for an entertaining mix of odds and ends that keep your interest as the mysteries unfold. The main problem with the story is that Powers touches so many things without really going into much detail … making it hard to leave any lasting impression.
  Kris.Larson | Sep 13, 2021 |
An enjoyable adventure mixing time travel, Victoriana, Egyptian myth, magic and 19th century poets, all succinctly packed into around 390 pages. The style of writing might not be everyone's cup of tea but this reader found she could forgive the occasional odd metaphor and clunky phrasing to soak up the atmosphere. ( )
  KarenBayly | Apr 10, 2021 |
CRAP! CRAP! and more CRAP!

There is not a single interesting male character in this novel. I don't care about the "hero" he has no real emotional motivation and the incident that starts the novel makes no sense. I will kidnap this random guy because why? um.... we are gypsies??? That's what we do? Even though we are on a mission to destabilize the english monarchy so that Egypt can be free again let's get into the business of kidnapping this one guy... Oh crap he destroyed our entire plan. The author was more interested in a large cast of characters than any real character development. This book is almost 400 pages and it could have been shaved down to about 250. I couldn't finish the last 50 pages. I just didn't care. The time travel mechanics he has are interesting. The intertwining of the time lines are a great idea but his characters are terrible and I don't care about any of them. Because I don't care I have no investment on if the "good guy" wins. Honestly I just wanted it over so I could move on to my next book. I wikipediaed the last 50 pages. WHEN EVERYTHING HAPPENS!!!!!! Never again. Never again.

Oh and don't kid yourself there is only one time period that matters in this book. They jump from 1983 to 1810 and that's all that matters. The fight that happens in 1600 whatever means nothing. When characters die you simply ask who? oh who cares and move on. Death means nothing in this book and so does everything else. TERRIBLE

If I could give it no stars I would.

Read the wikipedia page and you will have about as much fun as reading the actual book. Long winded and hallow. ( )
  jerame2999 | Nov 14, 2020 |
I need to get back the time I spent on this convoluted fantasy. Interesting premise, but simply too long, too tedious. It is a pity because I started reading this looking forward to it, but after a while, just could not care less. Goes to show just because it won an award, it does not follow a work is actually good. Then again, time travel fiction people and those who like the style of Dickens in their fiction may like this. That may be another reason I disliked it; I am not a Dickens fan.

Then again, it seems most readers on Goodreads like it, which shows once again that "Every book has a reader" and "every reader has a book." ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
Utterly incomprehensible. ( )
  billycongo | Jul 22, 2020 |

Potter, Jeffrey KCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riffel, HannesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyer Sj, M. K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Serena
From between two trees at the crest of the hill a very old man watched, with a nostalgic longing he thought he'd lost all capacity for, as the last group of picnickers packed up their baskets, mounted their horses, and rode away south...

when literature/
crosses with mad science and/
meets ancient magic
(lachapakhan)
An opium dream
or magic-ridden nightmare
recalls "Yesterday"
(paradoxosalpha)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,334,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible