The Kitchen House (2010)

by Kathleen Grissom

Series: The Kitchen House (1)

"When a white servant girl violates the order of plantation society, she unleashes a tragedy that exposes the worst and best in the people she has come to call her family. Orphaned while onboard a ship from Ireland to America, seven-year-old Lavinia arrives on the steps of a tobacco plantation where she is to live and work with the slaves of the kitchen house. Under the care of Belle, the master's illegitimate daughter, Lavinia becomes deeply bonded to her adopted family, though she is set apart from them by her white skin. Eventually, Lavinia is accepted into the world of the big house, where the master is absent and the mistress battles opium addiction. Lavinia finds herself perilously straddling two very different worlds. When she is forced to make a choice, loyalties are brought into question, dangerous truths are laid bare, and lives are put at risk"--Publisher's description.… (more)
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Blogletter)
    Blogletter: Zowel Het Keukenhuis door Kathleen Grissom als Een keukenmeidenroman door Kathryn Stocket gaan over slavernij in Amerika.
    The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill (Anonymous user, vancouverdeb)
    Anonymous user: Both The Kitchen House and the Book of Negroes are about Black Slavery in the South. They are different, but provide an eye opening look at Black Slavery.
    Oonagh by Mary Tilberg (Iudita)
    Iudita: Historical fiction about indentured servants.
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker (varwenea)
    The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (shearon)
    Slaves in the Family by Edward Ball (dara85)
    Cane River by Lalita Tademy (dara85)
    Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: this is also a tale of the south and slavery but this one is not as depressing as The Kitchen House but has a similar feel.
    The Long Song by Andrea Levy (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Similar themes: black slaves, a young woman who works within the "White Master's" Plantation house.Slavery,Freedom from slavery; both wonderfully written. Divided loyalities, a fiesty female slave.
    Year the Colored Sisters Came to Town by Jacqueline Guidry (varwenea)
    The Ways of White Folks: Stories by Langston Hughes (varwenea)
    Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher-Stowe (varwenea)

This book started off well, but quickly disintegrated to a predictable plotline with mediocre characters. I only made it to chapter 8 before the introduction of the evil teacher made the whole novel too melodramatic and I couldn't face reading any more. I have read other and better books of this time period and didn't wish to put in the effort to finish this one. ( )
  ColourfulThreads | Feb 18, 2021 |
Excellent book! ( )
  BobbieJR | Jan 14, 2021 |
A great Antebellum Historical Novel. I am always looking for books like this! ( )
  Weezer41 | Dec 27, 2020 |
  Weezer41 | Dec 27, 2020 |
I liked it and it was a good read. Unfortunately, I just finished Yellow Crocus, so I felt like I was having deja vu. Lisbeth/Lavinia = white girl making tough allegiances in the age of slavery and horrible cruelties. I wish I had spaced them about a year apart. ( )
  pmichaud | Dec 21, 2020 |
Though there are several compelling insights in The Kitchen House, it’s nevertheless a formulaic story. There are graphic shocks, but no surprises.
added by lkernagh | editQuill & Quire, Sara Forsyth (Mar 1, 2010)

Kathleen Grissomprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cassidy, OrlaghNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For my beloved parents, Ted and Catherine Doepker, and for my dear mentor, Eleanor Drewry Dolan
[Prologue] There was a strong smell of smoke, and new fear fueled me.
In that spring of 1791 I did not understand that the trauma of loss had taken my memory.

After seven-year-old Lavinia is orphaned on the journey from Ireland to the United States, she begins work in the kitchen house of a tobacco plantation and bonds with the slaves who become her adopted family, but when Lavinia is accepted into the big house, her loyalties are challenged.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,996,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible