Someone Knows My Name: A Novel by Lawrence…

Someone Knows My Name: A Novel (2007)

by Lawrence Hill

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (LDVoorberg)
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: The book has a similar familial tone and is also told from the point of view of young girls growing up in a difficult situation. I had been looking for a book with a similar writing style and was happy to find this one. If you liked The Book of Negroes I recommend The Poisonwood Bible and vice versa.… (more)
    A Mercy by Toni Morrison (tangentialine)
    The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, or Gustavus Vassa, the African by Olaudah Equiano (tangentialine)
    Epic Journeys of Freedom: Runaway Slaves of the American Revolution and Their Global Quest for Liberty by Cassandra Pybus (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Pybus offers a brilliant nonfiction account of the events in Hill's novel, as well as extending the story to penal colonies in Australia.
    Slave: My True Story by Mende Nazer (_Lana_)
    _Lana_: If you enjoyed reading about slavery in a historical setting you might be interested in a true-tale of slavery’s modern form. Both books also have strong female protagonists.
    The Classic Slave Narratives by Henry Louis Jr Gates (Cecilturtle)
    The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom (vancouverdeb)

English (151)  Dutch (6)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (159)
Aminata is intelligent, determined, and sharp-witted. Her kidnapping into slavery and return to Africa evoke moral questions. Her time in slavery gives a perspective on the brutality of slavery. Her life is filled with tumultuous times and places: New York during the Revolutionary War, the (2nd) British colony in Sierra Leone, the abolitionist movement in London. She offers a former slave’s perceptions of these times in history: danger, broken promises, and struggling to survive. Her life has a theme of exploring what it means to truly understand someone. Someone Knows My Name offers thought provoking historical fiction set in 1745-1805. ( )
  Roxanne_Reading | Mar 10, 2019 |
A totally engrossing tale of a black woman's life from 1745 in Africa to 1806 in London. In between which she was abducted into slavery in South Carolina, escaped in New York City, served the British during the Revolutionary War, removed to Nova Scotia, and then to Sierra Leone. ( )
  snash | Feb 20, 2019 |
As a Canadian, you think our history is so much better than that of other countries and then you read a book like this and it really brings you down a notch. This story follows Aminata Diallo from Africa as a child to South Carolina, to New York City to Nova Scotia, back to Sierra Leone then on to London England. Her story of her life as a young girl in Africa to a slave in the United States is heartbreaking. When she becomes free, she leaves on the boats carrying freed slaves and Loyalists to Nova Scotia. The freed slaves were not treated much better in Canada and their town was eventually destroyed. In this book I learned about the slave trade in Canada, Loyalists coming into Nova Scotia in hopes of land and freedom and finding only disillusion, disappointment, and segregation. I loved Aminata. I loved her intelligence, her perseverance, her strength to keep going after every stumble and setback and heartbreak.The book though is never a story of victimization, it’s more of a triumph of the human spirit in the face of unbelievable adversity and horror.This book is an excellent work of historical fiction. I learned so much about this era. Recommended if you enjoy historical fiction. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
What a story Lawrence Hill has written! It really was enthralling, though my interest was keener in the first portion of the story, (is Africa thru South Carolina.) This by no means suggests the rest was uninteresting, because the view of the world around the birth of our country, from the eyes of Meena was absolutely fascinating. Will pass on to a friend. ( )
  bookczuk | Jan 31, 2019 |
I think this is an amazing piece of historical fiction on the life of a female slave in the late 1700's.

Aminata Diallo was an 8 year old girl growing up in a small village called Bayo born in 1745. She lived a good childhood with her mother (a midwife) and father(a jeweler) until one day she was captured by slave traders. You follow her trials marching for months to the coast where she was branded and sent to the USA. You follow her through being bought and sold, being cheated by white people of all types...even those who seemed to help her at first. She loses 2 children and her husband... her children to abduction by whites and her husband due to a shipwreck.

She never loses her spirit though it is severely tested time and time again. I don't want to give spoilers so I will stop here. Once you start reading, you won't stop....it is a page turner.

I give it a 5 star rating...if I could give more, I would. ( )
  Lynxear | Sep 28, 2018 |
With mature themes (e.g., a rape scene on the ship, descriptive killings, and sexual situations), this book is suited for older teens. Hill clearly researched multiple and sources to provide an accurate acount of Aminata's heroic journey and brings to life crucial world history. Teens who enjoyed Sharon Draper's Copper Sun will appreciate this page-turning novel.
added by Christa_Josh | editSchool Library Journal, Gregory Lum (Mar 1, 2008)

An unforgettable epic, seen through the eyes of a sharply realized, indomitable heroine.
added by Christa_Josh | editBooklist, Sarah Johnson (Oct 15, 2007)

Unfortunately, [Hill's] didactic purpose gets the upper hand and overwhelms the story. Aminata is simply too noble to be believable, and other major characters are mainly symbolic. Nevertheless, Hill's fascinating source material makes this a good choice for book clubs and discussion groups.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Edward St. John (Oct 1, 2007)

In depicting a woman who survives history's most trying conditions through force of intelligence and personality, Hill's book is a harrowing, breathtaking tour de force.
added by Christa_Josh | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 3, 2007)

Livet som slave: Velbalansert historisk fiksjon om slavehandelen og ondskapens banalitet
added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Cathrine Krøger (Jun 29, 2006)

Lawrence Hillprimary authorall editionscalculated
Willems, IneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have set before thee life and death, the blessing and the curse. Therefore choose life.

--Deuteronomy 30:19
So geographers, in Afric-maps,

With savage-pictures fill their gaps;
And o'er unhabitable downs
Place elephants for want of towns.
--Jonathan Swift
For my daughter, and kindred spirit, Genevieve Aminata
I seem to have trouble dying.
The Book of Negroes (2007) was published as Someone Knows My Name in the U.S.A, Australia, and New Zealand.

Publisher Comments:
Abducted from Africa as a child and enslaved in South Carolina, Aminata Diallo thinks only of freedom—and of the knowledge she needs to get home. Sold to an indigo trader who recognizes her intelligence, Aminata is torn from her husband and child and thrown into the chaos of the Revolutionary War. In Manhattan, Aminata helps pen the Book of Negroes, a list of blacks rewarded for service to the king with safe passage to Nova Scotia. There Aminata finds a life of hardship and stinging prejudice. When the British abolitionists come looking for "adventurers" to create a new colony in Sierra Leone, Aminata assists in moving 1,200 Nova Scotians to Africa and aiding the abolitionist cause by revealing the realities of slavery to the British public. This captivating story of one woman's remarkable experience spans six decades and three continents and brings to life a crucial chapter in world history.

Dreaming of escaping her life of slavery in South Carolina and returning to her African home, slave Aminata Diallo is thrown into the chaos of the Revolutionary War, during which she helps create a list of black people who have been honored for their service to the king.… (more)

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393065782, 0393333094

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,086,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible