Mansfield Park (1814)

by Jane Austen

19,984332170 (3.83)5 / 1128
Mansfield Park is the study of three families--the Bertrams, the Crawfords, and the Prices. The story's heroine, Fanny Price, is at its center. She is adopted into the family of her rich uncle Thomas Bertram, and is condescendingly treated as a poor relation by "Aunt Norris." Of her cousins, only Edmund, a young clergyman, appreciates her fine qualities, and she falls in love with him. Unfortunately, however, he is drawn to the shallow and worldly Mary Crawford. Fanny's quiet passivity, steadfast loyalty, and natural goodness are matched against the wit and brilliance of her lovely rival. Jane Austen skillfully uses her characters' emotional relationships to explore the social and moral values by which they attempt to order their lives.… (more)
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    Medellia: Both books have sweet, shy, thoroughly virtuous protagonists, if you're a fan of that sort of character. (I am, and loved both novels!)
    Lover's Vows by Elizabeth Inchbald (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: The play they are rehearsing in Mansfield Park. Worth a quick skim.
    Celia's House by D. E. Stevenson (atimco)
    atimco: Very similar plot.
1810s (8)

English (320)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (333)
A reread for the - I'm not sure, 4th time? Mansfield Park used to be my least favorite Austen book (which still means I loved it) but it grows on me every time I read it. I now think it's actually one of her more mature books, with tons of opportunity to read between the lines, really interesting set up of believable characters, and lots of subtle humor and authorial commentary.

Fanny herself has also grown on me. She is often described as meek and mild and maddeningly won't ever put herself first. But I didn't see her that way on this reading. I saw that she is quiet and introverted and has been taught that her opinion isn't wanted, but her interior comments are quite perceptive and intelligent. And humanizing her even more, her interior thoughts, when revealed, are often self-centered, can be petty, and stubborn. I like this.

Also, a really large part of me wanted Henry Crawford to succeed with Fanny this time and become the person he thought he could be with her. First time to feel that way too!

I happily look forward to my next rereading of this book. ( )
  japaul22 | May 1, 2022 |
Digital audiobook narrated by Johanna Ward

Miss Fanny Price is taken in by her rich relation, Sir Thomas Bertram, and his wife as an act of charity. Her family is poor and with seven children, resources are simply stretched too thin. Fanny is a quiet, sensible, obedient little thing, and grows into a quiet, sensible, graceful young woman. Her two cousins, Sir Thomas’s daughters Maria and Julia treat her well, but are far more interested in their own prospects. And there are several eligible, if not completely suitable, young men in the neighborhood.

Ah, but I love spending time with Austen. Fanny is perhaps the ideal heroine, and reportedly Austen’s own favorite among her heroines. She is intelligent and thoughtful, pretty and graceful, keeps her own counsel, is modest and principled, and still has a loving heart.

A couple of the gentlemen in the area seem interested in Fanny – she is very pretty, after all, and Sir Thomas is bound to leave her some money. But Fanny would rather be alone than marry a man she cannot love and respect.

There is a certain predictable pattern to Austen’s novels, and this one is no exception. Our heroine will remain true to herself, and love will triumph.

Johanna Ward does a marvelous job of narrating the audiobook. She brings Austen’s witty dialogue to life. ( )
  BookConcierge | Mar 31, 2022 |
I love this book even though almost nothing happened in it :D All the characters had faults and I don't think the reader will like any of them very much, but I had so much fun reading about their interactions. It is about a group of young men and women who live at or close to the high-end country estate of Mansfield Park. This is basically a book about how these young people interacted with one another.

The main female character Fanny was a cousin of the Mansfield Park family. She was from a poor background. Everyone else was well-off. There are chapters and chapters that focus on the things they said or the walks they took (and of course the things they said during the walks.) Fanny held an unrequited love for one of the young men, who in turn was devoted to another young woman, Miss Crawford who Fanny thought didn't deserve his admiration. One thing happened after another and in the next-to-last chapter, the characters came to a state of quiet regret, helplessness and misery. If the story ended there, I think it would have been a better book. It would have been realistic and thought-provoking. The Crawford siblings are interesting characters. But the author gave us a happy ending at the last chapter. It was satisfying to see affections returned, and wrongdoings repented, but I'm having such a hard time believing things actually happened the way the author said they did lol ( )
  CathyChou | Mar 11, 2022 |
In its tone and discussion of religion and religious duty, it is the most serious of Austen’s novels. The heroine, Fanny Price, is a self-effacing and unregarded cousin cared for by the Bertram family in their country house. Fanny’s moral strength eventually wins her complete acceptance by the Bertram family and marriage to Edmund Bertram himself. ( )
  Marcos_Augusto | Jan 19, 2022 |
  JaqJaq | Jan 7, 2022 |

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Agujari Bonacossa, DianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alfsen, MereteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bonacossa della Valle di Casanova, EsterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chapman, R. W.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

About thirty years ago, Miss Maria Ward of Huntingdon, with only seven thousand pounds, had the good luck to captivate Sir Thomas Bertram, of Mansfield Park, in the county of Northampton, and to be thereby raised to the rank of a baronet's lady, with all the comforts and consequences of an handsome house and large income.
But there certainly are not so many men of large fortune in the world, as there are pretty women to deserve them.
It is Fanny that I think of all day and dream of all night.

Adopted by the rich Bertrams, Fanny finds her bold cousins are daunting, her aunts and the remote Sir Thomas intimidating. Only thoughtful Edmund recognises her qualities and helps to improve her lot. But when the delightful Mr and Miss Crawford arrive to enliven the family group, even he dismisses Fanny's reservations. At first all is excitement and pleasure. Gradually, however, the effects of recklessness and selfishness accumulate. As Fanny's unswerving integrity and quiet strength become the support of the shattered family, she finds a happiness she could not have anticipated. While displaying the sparkle and clarity for which Jane Austen is renowned, the tone here is often sober and uncompromising. The issues of probity and responsibility are explored, alongside the often unhappy complexities of family life, in a considerable and profoundly satisfying novel.
A maid of pure heart,
Enduring persecution,
Her wisdom triumphs.
(hillaryrose7)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439807, 0141028149, 0451531116, 0141197706, 0141199873

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175927, 1909175536

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,969,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible