Mansfield Park (1814)

by Jane Austen

19,034318168 (3.83)5 / 1086
Mansfield Park is the study of three families--the Bertrams, the Crawfords, and the Prices. The story's heroine, Fanny Price, is at its center. She is adopted into the family of her rich uncle Thomas Bertram, and is condescendingly treated as a poor relation by "Aunt Norris." Of her cousins, only Edmund, a young clergyman, appreciates her fine qualities, and she falls in love with him. Unfortunately, however, he is drawn to the shallow and worldly Mary Crawford. Fanny's quiet passivity, steadfast loyalty, and natural goodness are matched against the wit and brilliance of her lovely rival. Jane Austen skillfully uses her characters' emotional relationships to explore the social and moral values by which they attempt to order their lives.… (more)
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    Medellia: Both books have sweet, shy, thoroughly virtuous protagonists, if you're a fan of that sort of character. (I am, and loved both novels!)
    Lover's Vows by Elizabeth Inchbald (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: The play they are rehearsing in Mansfield Park. Worth a quick skim.
    Celia's House by D. E. Stevenson (atimco)
    atimco: Very similar plot.

English (303)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (316)
Henry Crawford's constancy did not last for long did it? That was such a shame... I wanted him and Fanny to end up together! ( )
  Clarissa_ | May 11, 2021 |
¡El primito! ( )
  ItsAkirex | May 6, 2021 |
I learned the harp to be an accomplished lady. ( )
  Rachel_Cucinella | Apr 24, 2021 |
This is so far my favourite Jane Austin book. That's all that needs to be said. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Once again I find myself baffled at the task of giving “stars” to a book. Just recently I gave Madame Bovary three stars, but today I am giving Mansfield Park 5 stars. I am tired of justify, if even to myself only, the inner workings of my logic. So, be aware that the stars I give have to do to a personal measure of the pleasure a book gave me, in addition to provoking in myself some form of reflection on humanity and/or enlarging my understanding of social norms or historical/political moments.

Mansfield Park scored very, very high in personal pleasure. I actually listened to it in audio, and maybe part of the pleasure was in being carried to the time and place by the narrator. Jane Austen is such a great social commentator; her sharp wit in portraying the society around her, but also the emotional motivations of each character leaves me amazed.

I did play this game in my head, trying to figure out a different title for this book in the lines of other books by Austen (Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility), and the most apt title for this book in my opinion should be Rightness and Frivolity.

There is through this whole story the common tension of “the good and the bad”. And it is maybe too naïve and unrealistic that the good do win at the end. When I think of this book in these terms, I have to admit that Pride and Prejudice is maybe a more complex story, where the qualities of the characters are not so black and white as in Mansfield Park.

And yet, at this moment in my life, I am more prone to admire the fortitude of the righteous and to recognize the damaging power of the frivolous. The better example of it in the struggle of Henry and Mary Crawford to become better people who cannot however overcome their superficiality. And the strength of Fanny in not letting go of her moral principles even when faced with the great monetary advances of a marriage.

I will stop at this. The righteous don’t always gain my admiration. (it is too easy to be self-righteous) and the older I get, the less black and white, good and bad, the world has become. There are many shades of gray out there, and yet, it is nice to be reminded that good exists and that it wins at the end sometimes.
  RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thomson, HughIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Agujari Bonacossa, DianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alfsen, MereteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bonacossa della Valle di Casanova, EsterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chapman, R. W.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

About thirty years ago, Miss Maria Ward of Huntingdon, with only seven thousand pounds, had the good luck to captivate Sir Thomas Bertram, of Mansfield Park, in the county of Northampton, and to be thereby raised to the rank of a baronet's lady, with all the comforts and consequences of an handsome house and large income.
But there certainly are not so many men of large fortune in the world, as there are pretty women to deserve them.
It is Fanny that I think of all day and dream of all night.

Adopted by the rich Bertrams, Fanny finds her bold cousins are daunting, her aunts and the remote Sir Thomas intimidating. Only thoughtful Edmund recognises her qualities and helps to improve her lot. But when the delightful Mr and Miss Crawford arrive to enliven the family group, even he dismisses Fanny's reservations. At first all is excitement and pleasure. Gradually, however, the effects of recklessness and selfishness accumulate. As Fanny's unswerving integrity and quiet strength become the support of the shattered family, she finds a happiness she could not have anticipated. While displaying the sparkle and clarity for which Jane Austen is renowned, the tone here is often sober and uncompromising. The issues of probity and responsibility are explored, alongside the often unhappy complexities of family life, in a considerable and profoundly satisfying novel.
A maid of pure heart,
Enduring persecution,
Her wisdom triumphs.
(hillaryrose7)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439807, 0141028149, 0451531116, 0141197706, 0141199873

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175927, 1909175536

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,925,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible