Lady Chatterley's Lover (1928)

by D. H. Lawrence

12,285194412 (3.5)1 / 489
Banned, burned, and the subject of a landmark obscenity trial, Lawrence's lyric and sensual last novel is now regarded as "our time's most significant romance." -- "The New York Times. "This classic tale of love and discovery pits the paralyzed and callous Clifford Chatterley against his indecisive wife and her persuasive lover.… (more)

English (174)  Spanish (4)  Italian (4)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (194)
Not my cup of tea. I understand the draw for the story, but it's not for me. ( )
  GhostDuchess | Apr 8, 2022 |
This is one of those books that it think its reputation is greater than its actual literary worth. Which is to say, I can find better written sex scenes in other novels and better written books about about the "death" of the man by industrialization.

On whole, its not necessarily bad, just full of long winded speeches on what it means to be a man, what it means to be a women, and why sex is good. I found the characters to be unlikable, from Connie who only falls in love with a man based on his perceived "manliness", that is, good sex with an opinion why he is a man, and everyone else is not. Regarding the man Connie has an affair with, Mellors, I found him to be abusive and condescending.

The other part to this is industrialization turning men into automata that only lives to work, and works to live. I understand why its in this book, but it wasn't well integrated into the story.

At times, the story really did grab my attention, but than it went onto some meandering lecture that went on for a few pages. I also appreciate the ending of the story, with everyone staying respectable, and gossip at a minimum.

On the whole, I'm glad to have read the book. But it won't be one I will be revisiting. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Feb 24, 2022 |
Here's what I wrote after reading in 1987: "When it was written, it shocked many by its frank descriptions of sexual acts, use of four-letter words, etc. It tells a story of regeneration, though. Connie Chatterly's spirit, which had been dying, found life through her very sexual relationship with her husband's gamekeeper. Lawrence also was delivering a bigger message than personal regeneration, though. Society, he believed, had wandered too far from nature, its rhythm, its sexuality. As a result, civilization is being immobilized." You missed the messages concerning class and mind & body. Wow, if Lawrence thought were had wondered from nature in 1928 he'd be even more concerned now. ( )
  MGADMJK | Feb 12, 2022 |
I can imagine that this would have been groundbreaking in its day, but I hate-read it.
  trishrobertsmiller | Jan 24, 2022 |
First thing out of Jyg's mouth when she saw the book on my study floor was, "You're reading a love story?" They way she said it made it seem like I went to the local Wal-Mart and picked up Harlequin. I shook my head and replied, "No, I'm reading D.H. Lawrence." If you're a fan of the Harlequin mumbo-jumbo, you'll probably like the book, however. Although, the difference between this book and the generic romance novel is the poetry and the purpose the book contains. Because I dislike spoilers, I won't go into the whole plot and my favorite parts; however, I will tell you what I took/learned from the novel.

Love means the ability to love a woman who shits and pisses. I kid you not. I just paraphrased a line in the book. Granted the novel isn't for everyone - feminists beware, not all of you will like it - but it should be given a chance. As I was skipping along through several different reviews and whatnot on blogs, Amazon and here, I noticed there are mixed feelings for it. One of them being that men cannot write women. I beg to disagree. Some men can't write women, others can.

I'm not going to say something as bold as D.H. Lawrence pegged women correctly or that he new the nature of women, but surely he had a clue on the type of woman his main character was. That's as far as I will go to defend that.

As for the greatest piece of literature, well, that's arguable. The book is great and it should be read by anyone who is a student of literature (no exceptions in this cluster, by the way) and should be given a chance by others. Also, don't be fooled into thinking the book is a simple love story that has no underlining meaning. Because I don't like going into the full details of all the hidden messages (which aren't so hidden, by the way) of the novel (because I did that for school so I'm not going to do that leisure), I will admit at first I thought the purpose of the novel was that of betrayal. After a while, I realized it was a little more on the side of social liberation.

The downfall for me was the end. It didn't pan out the way I wanted it to. While we are led to cheer for the infidelity, I was still hoping for the ending that I was beginning to see as inevitable. I suppose I just don't like happy endings, no matter the degree. ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
Although written many years ago, Lady Chatterley's Lover has just been reissued by the Grove Press, and this fictional account of the day-to-day life of an English gamekeeper is still of considerable interest to outdoor minded readers, as it contains many passages on pheasant raising, the apprehending of poachers, ways to control vermin, and other chores and duties of the professional gamekeeper. Unfortunately one is obliged to wade through many pages of extraneous material in order to discover and savor these sidelights on the management of a Midland shooting estate, and in this reviewer's opinion this book cannot take the place of J.R. Miller's Practical Gamekeeping.
added by Cynfelyn | editField and Stream, Ed Zern (Nov 1, 1959)

Lawrence, D. H.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vrba, FrantišekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisser, Susan OstrovIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Worthen, JohnAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yelin, JulietaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Publisher's dedication : "......to the twelve jurors who returned a verdict of 'Not Guilty' [on 2 November, 1960] and thus made D.H. Lawrence's last novel available for the first time to the public in the United Kindom"
Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically.
Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically. The cataclysm has happened, we are among the ruins, we start to build up new litle habitats, to have new little hopes. It is rather hard work: there is no smooth road into the future: but we go round, or scramble ver the obstacles. We've got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen.
The beautiful pure freedom of a woman was infnitely more wonderful than any sexual love. The only unfortunate thing was that men lagged so far behind women in the matter. They insisted on the sex thing like dogs.
"No, I don't hate you," she said. "I think you're nice." - "Ah!" he said to her fiercely, "I'd rather you said that to me than said you love me! It means such a lot more..."
The world is supposed to be full of possibilities, but they narrow down to pretty few in most personal experience. There's lots of good fish in the sea... maybe... but the vast masses seem to be mackerel or herring, and if you're not mackerel or herring yourself, you are likely to find very few good fish in the sea.
"I can't see I do a woman any more harm by sleeping with her than by dancing with her... or even talking to her about the weather. It's just an interchange of sensations instead of ideas, so why not?"

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441496, 0141192178, 0241951542

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832122, 1907832203

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Gray Rabbit Publications

An edition of this book was published by Gray Rabbit Publications.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,947,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible