A Tale of Two Cities (1859)

by Charles Dickens

30,37639566 (3.93)4 / 1175
Dickens relates the adventures of a young Englishman who gives his life during the French Revolution to save the husband of the woman he loves.
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (krizia_lazaro)
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (MarcusBrutus)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (morryb)
    morryb: The French Revolutionary Mob becomes a character in each novel.
    The French Revolution: A History by Thomas Carlyle (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: A main source of inspiration for Dickens in writing A Tale of Two Cities.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (harrietbrown)
    harrietbrown: It might be handy to have an understanding of the French Revolution prior to undertaking "War and Peace," because many of the events in Napoleon's wars follow from the French Revolution, which "A Tale of Two Cities" covers.
    The Glass Blowers by Daphne du Maurier (buchstabendompteurin)
    Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray (harrietbrown)
    harrietbrown: "A Tale of Two Cities" covers the period of the French Revolution, preceding Napoleon Bonaparte's rule of France and subsequent wars, including the war featured in "Vanity Fair." In order to understand how Napoleon came to power, and his domination of Europe, it is necessary to understand the French Revolution.… (more)

English (375)  Spanish (10)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (393)
While I found this book enjoyable, it didn't captivate me. I love classics, especially those that captivate me from the first word to the last because even if there's so much description I almost forget the plot, I still want to read on because I'm lost in the book. Sadly, as much as I wanted to love it, this one didn't. During parts of the novel, I had my attention held, but this novel lost it as soon as the descriptions started when the plot started getting slightly slower. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
great ( )
  Claire_k | Mar 30, 2021 |
I was happy to find that there are multiple sources for free versions of this book. It's available on Kindle (there are many cheap versions for $1.99 or $2.99, but if you search you can find a free version), and there is a podcast from LoudLit.org available in the iTunes Store where the book is read in 31 episodes. I listened to the podcast while exercising or playing video games, then picked up the Kindle version when waiting at the doctor's office, and got through it quite quickly. I'd recommend anyone try it, as there's a reason this book has stood the test of time: you're bound to find something in it that you like. ( )
  greggmaxwellparker | Mar 25, 2021 |
I struggled through the first few chapters. I love Dickens and thought I had finally found a dud. But as things progressed I was sucked in and the final few chapters are some of the most breathtaking and suspenseful I can remember reading. As ever with Dickens, there are some truly memorable characters; Sydney Carton & Madame Defarge stand out, but I also loved Mr Lorry, Jerry Cruncher and Miss Prosse. In many of his novels Dickens gives us a suffering, angelic female and we have one of the most long suffering and angelic of all in A Tale of Two Cities but these ladies are not his forte. Madame Defarge, by contrast, is a masterpiece. Made twisted and bitter by past wrongs she is terrifying in her quest for vengeance. And I think I fell in love with Sydney at the end; I will admit my eyes were slightly damp. I think I will need to read this book again in a few years.... ( )
  Patsmith139 | Mar 15, 2021 |
I really liked this book and I am so glad I picked it up! Now I know what Will and Tessa are always geeking out about, haha. ( )
  Akacya | Feb 28, 2021 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Sometimes an old photograph, and old friend, an old letter will remind you that you are not who you once were, for the person who dwelt among them, valued this, chose that, wrote thus, no longer exists. Without noticing it you have traversed a great distance; the strange has become familiar and familiar if not strange at least awkward or uncomfortable.
Rebecca Solnit
"The Blue of Distance"
A Field Guide to Getting Lost
This tale is inscribed to the Lord John Russell in remembrance of many public services and private kindnesses
For Jodi Reamer, slayer of beasts
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
For a long time there is only darkness and the sound of distant thunder and the hazy sensation of falling.
It is a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
I wish you to know that you have been the last dream of my soul.
This is the main work for A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.
This is a book work entry; not a video
ISBN 0140620788 is a Penguin edition of A Tale of Two Cities.
ISBN 0141439602 is a Penguin edition of A Tale of Two Cities.
ISBN 1421808196 is a 1st World Library edition of A Tale of Two Cities.

Hardcover 7x4 1/2x3/4 397 pp. published by "The Modern Library" signed F.C. Simpson AXE-Beta, stamped ALPHA CHI SIGMA 613 Oak St. S. E. Minneapolis, Minn.
Two men look alike.
They love the same good woman.
They’re all in danger.
(marcusbrutus)

4 2010
5 1902

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439602, 0141031743, 0141325542, 0141196904, 0141199709

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,941,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible