The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

The Last Unicorn (1968)

by Peter S. Beagle

Series: The Last Unicorn (1)

5,086126882 (4.24)2 / 329
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (aslikeanarnian, MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "I do not know what you were like as a wood-nymph, madam, but you are a magnificent tree."
    The Line Between by Peter S. Beagle (aces)
    The Ring of Allaire by Susan Dexter (humouress)
    humouress: An unusual equine is camouflaged by magic, and the quest cannot continue until the enchantment is broken.
    Lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees (twilightnocturne)
    Spellfall by Katherine Roberts (bookel)
    Spellhorn by Berlie Doherty (bookel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Cecrow)
    Elfleda [short story] by Vonda McIntyre (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For another singular unicorn, in a tale more bitter than sweet. Available on the author's website.
    Rampant by Diana Peterfreund (cbcsms)
    Ariel by Steven R. Boyett (spiphany)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)

English (121)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All (126)
It was good but I expected a lot more from it.

I really wanted to love this book. I have always been fascinated by unicorns since I was a little girl and to have been left feeling so deflated after reading this beloved classic was puzzling to say the least.

While the descriptions were beautifully executed, I felt the book's writing dragged in way too many parts. I'll admit that I skipped a good portion of the songs. Most of the time I got lost in the narration. Way too many metaphors and similes makes for a very confusing read.

There was hardly any character development. And to be honest, I didn't find myself liking any of them. Perhaps the Prince. The Unicorn, whom I expected to love, fell flat and much too indifferent for me to connect with her.

It's meant to be a bittersweet 'fable' however the bitterness overlapped the sweetness in this particular case. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
Better than I remember it from years ago. There are little spots of humor all over and it is more of a satire that I missed when I was a kid. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
This is the kind of book that warms your heart and make you wish magic is real.
  Dohakoma | Apr 4, 2017 |
This was recommended to me ages ago by someone whose opinion in books I greatly trust, noted especially for the language and style. When Olivia listed it here on Goodreads as a to-read I remembered that I always meant to read it and found a copy, and while flying from Dublin back to Toronto I alternated reading this book with reading [b:The Practice of Everyday Life|164452|The Practice of Everyday Life|Michel de Certeau|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348617913s/164452.jpg|158769] on the plane. This book staggered me with how beautiful it was and I wished terribly I'd read it when I was young (just because there's something to the way you read and the way you love books when you're young). The humour reminded me greatly of [b:The Princess Bride|21787|The Princess Bride |William Goldman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327903636s/21787.jpg|992628], playing with genre tropes and such. I highlighted so many lines from this book and have quite a list of friends to recommend it to in turn, and feel excited to one day read this book to nieces and nephews. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
I have owned this book for almost fifty years. It's the book that keeps me going when times are bad. ( )
  kleh | Feb 8, 2017 |

Grant, MelvynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oakes, TerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sprangers, KickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Dr. Olfert Dapper, who saw a wild unicorn in the Maine woods in 1673, and for Robert Nathan, who has seen one or two in Los Angeles.

In memory of Louis Untermeyer and Edgar Pangborn.
The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.
The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone.
"Mare? The unicorn trumpeted the word so shrilly that the man stopped pursuing her and clapped his hands to his ears. "Mare?" she demanded. "I, a horse? Is that what you take me for? Is that what you see?"
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream.
The Deluxe Edition of "The Last Unicorn" includes the short story "Two Hearts" and a lengthy interview with the author. As such, it is a different work from regular editions of "The Last Unicorn," and should not be combined with them.

"The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version" should not be combined with "The Last Unicorn". While related, they are not the same story and are therefore different works.

"The Last Unicorn: Graphic Novel" should not be combined with "The Last Unicorn". It is a graphic novel adaptation of the novel, not an identical work.

This Red Bull does not
"give you wings." It captures all
the world's unicorns.
(yoyogod)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451450523, Paperback)

The Last Unicorn is one of the true classics of fantasy, ranking with Tolkien's The Hobbit, Le Guin's Earthsea Trilogy, and Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. Beagle writes a shimmering prose-poetry, the voice of fairy tales and childhood:

The unicorn discovers that she is the last unicorn in the world, and sets off to find the others. She meets Schmendrick the Magician--whose magic seldom works, and never as he intended--when he rescues her from Mommy Fortuna's Midnight Carnival, where only some of the mythical beasts displayed are illusions. They are joined by Molly Grue, who believes in legends despite her experiences with a Robin Hood wannabe and his unmerry men. Ahead wait King Haggard and his Red Bull, who banished unicorns from the land.

This is a book no fantasy reader should miss; Beagle argues brilliantly the need for magic in our lives and the folly of forgetting to dream. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:10 -0400)

Recounts the quest of the last unicorn, who leaves the protection of the enchanted forest to search for her own kind, and who is joined by Schmedrick the Magician and Molly Grue in her search.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,154,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible