Looking for Alaska (2005)

by John Green

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Paper Towns by John Green (chwiggy)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (curioussquared)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A. S. King (kaledrina)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A. S. King (kaledrina)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)

English (666)  Spanish (6)  Swedish (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (684)
While this book plays to a few stereotypes and the plot is predictable, it had interesting moments regarding the nature of grief and suffering. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
I guess my expectations were just too high. I loved the previous two books by Green that I read, [b:The Fault in Our Stars|11870085|The Fault in Our Stars|John Green|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1360206420l/11870085._SY75_.jpg|16827462] and [b:Turtles All the Way Down|35504431|Turtles All the Way Down|John Green|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1503002776l/35504431._SY75_.jpg|21576687] and fully thought I'd feel the same way about this one. I didn't.

Maybe I'm too old... I remember high school and the emotions and drama that went along with it but I didn't care about any of these young people. The protagonist was unlikable to me and struck me as completely self-absorbed and self-centered. I kept waiting for the scene that would turn it all around for me but it never came. In fact, I was mightily tempted several times to just quit but I wanted to be able to check it off of the Great American Read list so I hung in. I'm just glad I'm done. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Not my flavor. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
This was just not my favorite John Green novel. It was clunky in places, and I disliked the character, Alaska, enough to want to put it down sometimes. In fact, I did put it down periodically. I usually will race right through a John Green novel as fast I can, because I enjoy them, but in this case I kept forgetting that I hadn't finished it yet. I am happy to note that this is John Green's first published novel, and his writing only gets better from here. ( )
  inkstained | Apr 6, 2021 |
Recommended to me by my favorite 14 yr old. ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Celi, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,163,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible