Uprooted

by Naomi Novik

Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life. Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood. The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid. She knows--everyone knows--that the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isn't, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her. But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.… (more)
Recently added byMinaSmith12345, NyxH, smanet, private library, Arina8888, DaizNDust, leslie.emery, risalingo
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (cransell)
    cransell: Both excellent YA fantasy with strong female characters and great world building.
    The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For similar moods of utter desperation.
    Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales by Angela Carter (nessreader)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (tralliott)
    Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (evymac)
    evymac: Fairy tale-like read with great characters and an enchanting plot.
    Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (beyondthefourthwall)
    The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Two stories inspired by fairy tales (in different ways), with fierce female leads and satisfyingly complex takes on fairy tale tropes.
    The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker (Marissa_Doyle, Runa)
    Marissa_Doyle: Different settings, but both share excellent worldbuilding and an older, emotionally wounded wizard training a young woman apprentice in magic.
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (carriehh, beyondthefourthwall)
    Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (Euryale)
    Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Because the dang kings keep getting in the way of important magical work.
    Blood Ties (The Castings Trilogy) by Pamela Freeman (chlorine)
    chlorine: Both books share a theme, but it's hard to say anything about it without spoilers...
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire (Othemts)
    East by Edith Pattou (smallisle)
    smallisle: For the world steeped in ancient tales and the strong female protagonist carried off by a mysterious and misunderstood magical being.
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (g33kgrrl)
    A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (majkia)
    majkia: Not entirely sure why this book reminded me of Uprooted, perhaps because neither is really YA IMO
    Baba Yaga Laid an Egg by Dubravka Ugrešić (Othemts)
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (beyondthefourthwall)
    Shearwater, Part One: An Ocean Depths Mermaid Romance by D. S. Murphy (Othemts)
    The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro (Othemts)

English (322)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (325)
DNF 51%

Es mucho para mi maltratado cerebro. Siento que a quienes les guste el señor de los anillos o libros así de largos pueda gustarle Uprooted. No leí LOTR, pero siempre me imaginé que sería algo así como este libro.

No eres tú soy yo, querido libro. No esta vez.
  Ella_Zegarra | Jan 18, 2022 |
I want to give this more than five stars. I loved it. Absolutely loved it. And I'm so sad that there's no more of it to read. I want more! ( )
  maryellencg | Jan 8, 2022 |
I can't remember how I learned about this book, but I bought it. And then I listened to it. It was great. I absolutely loved the story, and I loved the narration! I'll have to check out other books by the author, and other books narrated by Katey Sobey!
I loved the Slavic mythology which was entwined in the story. Great idea, very well written, and, due to the excellent narration, a wonderful listening experience!

Belana | Dec 15, 2021 |
Lovely high fantasy novel incorporating elements of the Baba Yaga folktale and Beauty & The Beast: Think Robin McKinley but with sex. I was hoping the love interest would be the MC’s beautiful and perfect female best friend instead of the old, cranky, verbally-abusive Mr.-Rochesteresque male wizard, but you can’t have everything. ( )
  jollyavis | Dec 14, 2021 |
Almost a perfect story. I kind of expected a WLW love story, and felt like the heterosexual romance was tacked on and a little gross. Other than that, it was so good. I checked it out from a library, and can't wait to add it to my personal collection. ( )
  embly | Dec 11, 2021 |
Uprooted is not, as I thought it might be after those first three chapters, any of the following: a Beauty and the Beast story; a somewhat quiet tale about learning one’s magical abilities and negotiating a relationship with one’s teacher; or a story that includes intrinsically-gendered magic. What it is, is a kingdom-level fantasy with great magic and an engaging narrator—which packs a surprising amount of plot into its single volume. I recommend it highly.
added by SimoneA | editTor.com, Kate Nepveu (Jun 10, 2015)

The pages turn and the Kindle screens swipe with alacrity. An early expedition into the Wood to rescue a long-missing Queen is particularly white-knuckle. Temeraire fans will be pleased to know that a superb tower-under-siege sequence demonstrates that Novik has lost none of her facility for making complex battle scenes clear and exciting. And Agnieszka remains a scrappy, appealing hero throughout. It’s just that one can’t help but be reminded that Novik’s Temeraire series will conclude next year as a nine-novel cycle and wonder why a writer so skilled at pacing a long, complicated chronicle over multiple books has crammed this story into one.

It’s as if Novik is overcorrecting for the kind of Hollywood bloat that causes studios to split fantasy-novel adaptations into multiple films. Here, she packs an entire trilogy into a single book. Agnieszka’s corridors-of-power adventures in Polnya’s capital have kind of a middle-volume vibe to them, while some fascinating late-breaking revelations about the nature of the Wood definitely feel like they deserve their own dedicated installment. I felt this most particularly in Agnieszka’s evolution as a character. While it’s thrilling in the book’s final third to read about her taking control of her own magical identity as a latter-day Baba Yaga, it does feel as though it’s happened without giving her the opportunity to explore a few blind-alley identities on the way there.
added by SnootyBaronet | editSlate, Mac Rogers

McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sobey, KatyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, David G.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zucker, Christopher M.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Our Dragon doesn't eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside the valley.
She'd remembered the wrong things, and forgotten too much. She'd remembered how to kill and how to hate, and she'd forgotten how to grow.

Agnieszka helps
the Dragon battle the dark
power of the Wood.
(passion4reading)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,260,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible