Three Men in a Boat—To Say Nothing of the Dog (1889)

by Jerome K. Jerome

Series: Three Men (1)

"Three Men in a Boat" is one of the best-loved and most enduring comic novels in all of English literature. It tells the tale of a boating expedition on the Thames, undertaken by three friends, to say nothing of the dog, Montmorency. The vibrancy and style of the Jerome's writing magnifies their adventures to epic proportions, and ensures this story remains as fresh as ever.… (more)
    My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (TadAD)
    TadAD: Imagine Bertie, Bingo and Barmie trying to organize a two-week boating expedition up the Thames. Conversely, imagine J., Harris and George trying to steal a cow creamer for their aunt. There you have it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (wookiebender)
    Jeeves & Wooster: The Inimitable Jeeves; Carry On, Jeeves; Very Good, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (Osbaldistone)
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (raizel)
    raizel: Both have spiritual, transcendent moments in what are, for the most part, silly stories.
    The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (meggyweg)
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (meggyweg, John_Vaughan)
    The Footsteps at the Lock by Ronald A. Knox (cf66)
    cf66: It's the same scenary
    Swing, Swing Together by Peter Lovesey (myshelves)
    myshelves: Victorian police novel utilizing the theme of Jerome's book.
    Literary Lapses by Stephen Leacock (kmcmahon)
    Our Hearts Were Young and Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: If you enjoy humorous travel stories, you can't go wrong with either one of these books. Both books include descriptions of visits to the Hampton Court maze.
    On Tremendous Trifles by G. K. Chesterton (VivienneR)
    Cordelia Underwood: or The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League by Van Reid (wvlibrarydude)
    The Pickwick Papers, Vol 1 by Charles Dickens (_eskarina)
    The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books which appear to be about mundane matters on the surface, but are really about how to live life to the fullest
    La vida exagerada de Martín Romaña by Alfredo Bryce Echenique (chrisharpe)
    Un Homme et une femme dans un bâteau by José-Marie Piquard (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: version moderne sur une rivière française

English (226)  Catalan (4)  Swedish (4)  French (2)  Czech (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (244)
I think I tried reading this at an earlier age. I'm glad I lived long enough to prepare myself to enjoy it. Totally the antecedent to PGW. This is great stuff. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
In which an otherwise sensible dog takes a trip up the Thames with three hapless humans, and somehow manages to come out of it unscathed. As do the humans, one of whom tells the tale. It's Wodehouse witty, and owes much to Twain as well. Hang on to your sculls, because you'll laugh 'til you squeak for breath one minute, and be moved to find a good biography of Queen Matilda or Edward the Confessor in the next.
Reviewed in 2012 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Aug 2, 2021 |
Reviewed in 2012 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Aug 2, 2021 |
This is what would result if Monty Python did to _Heart of Darkness_ what they did to King Arthur or the New Testament. ( )
  AaronG_19460 | Jul 10, 2021 |
Enjoyable, for the most part. Since this is supposed to be a new edition, it would have been nice if the casual, off-hand racial slurs had been removed. The narration is very good. ( )
  A2Seamster | Apr 9, 2021 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

There were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency.
I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It's my energetic nature. I can't help it.
I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
You start on Monday with the idea implanted in your bosom that you are going to enjoy yourself. You wave an airy adieu to the boys on shore, light your biggest pipe, and swagger about the deck as if you were Captain Cook, Sir Francis Drake, and Christopher Columbus all rolled into one. On Tuesday, you wish you hadn't come. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, you wish you were dead. On Saturday, you are able to swallow a little beef tea, and to sit up on deck, and answer with a wan, sweet smile when kind-hearted people ask you how you feel now. On Sunday, you begin to walk about again, and take solid food. And on Monday morning, as, with your bag and umbrella in your hand, you stand by the gunwale, waiting to step ashore, you begin to thoroughly like it.
...George, who would not be able to get away from the City till the afternoon (George goes to sleep at a bank from ten to four each day, except Saturdays, when they wake him up and put him outside at two), would meet us there.
The case was becoming serious. It was now past midnight. The hotels at Shiplake and Henley would be crammed; and we could not go round, knocking up cottagers and householders in the middle of the night, to know if they let apartments! George suggested walking back to Henley and assaulting a policeman, and so getting a night's lodging in the station-house. But then there was the thought, "Suppose he only hits us back and refuses to lock us up!"

We could not pass the whole night fighting policemen. Besides, we did not want to overdo the thing and get six months.
unabridged

Trois hommes et un chien. Bienvenue en Absurdie! It is so British.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441216, 0141194790, 024195682X

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,317,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible