dismiss

Three Men in a Boat—To Say Nothing of the Dog (1889)

by Jerome K. Jerome

Series: Three Men (1)

"Three Men in a Boat" is one of the best-loved and most enduring comic novels in all of English literature. It tells the tale of a boating expedition on the Thames, undertaken by three friends, to say nothing of the dog, Montmorency. The vibrancy and style of the Jerome's writing magnifies their adventures to epic proportions, and ensures this story remains as fresh as ever.… (more)
    My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (TadAD)
    TadAD: Imagine Bertie, Bingo and Barmie trying to organize a two-week boating expedition up the Thames. Conversely, imagine J., Harris and George trying to steal a cow creamer for their aunt. There you have it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (wookiebender)
    Jeeves & Wooster: The Inimitable Jeeves; Carry On, Jeeves; Very Good, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (Osbaldistone)
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (raizel)
    raizel: Both have spiritual, transcendent moments in what are, for the most part, silly stories.
    The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (meggyweg)
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (meggyweg, John_Vaughan)
    The Footsteps at the Lock by Ronald A. Knox (cf66)
    cf66: It's the same scenary
    Swing, Swing Together by Peter Lovesey (myshelves)
    myshelves: Victorian police novel utilizing the theme of Jerome's book.
    Literary Lapses by Stephen Leacock (kmcmahon)
    Our Hearts Were Young and Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: If you enjoy humorous travel stories, you can't go wrong with either one of these books. Both books include descriptions of visits to the Hampton Court maze.
    On Tremendous Trifles by G. K. Chesterton (VivienneR)
    Cordelia Underwood: Or, The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League by Van Reid (wvlibrarydude)
    The Pickwick Papers, Vol 1 by Charles Dickens (_eskarina)
    The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books which appear to be about mundane matters on the surface, but are really about how to live life to the fullest
    La vida exagerada de Martín Romaña by Alfredo Bryce Echenique (chrisharpe)
    Un Homme et une femme dans un bâteau by José-Marie Piquard (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: version moderne sur une rivière française

English (216)  Swedish (3)  French (2)  Czech (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (228)
19th century British comedy about the inadequacies of three men who embark on a boating expedition. Covers their inability to pack, lack of boating skills, woeful cooking skills, and the like. I don't believe the novel stands the test of time. You really have to take yourself back in time to appreciate some of the humour. ( )
  jigarpatel | Aug 9, 2020 |
Hee! And more hee! This is meandering and relatable and silly and almost infinitely charming. It’s pastiche and satire and travelogue and slice-of-life all rolled into one, with an unreliable narrator, long set-ups to the jokes, and pratfalls. So many pratfalls. Victorian literature this is not! Except that, of course, it is.

I’m still mulling over how Jerome made this work. It shouldn’t. There’s no plot or character development, just a series of moments and memories and general buffoonery. There’s barely even dialogue as we’re used to it! But the characters, especially the narrator J, absolutely shine and everything from the episodes to the colloquial narration feels timeless and familiar. I, too, have had trouble cooking scrambled eggs. I, too, have had nights out camping when I just can’t get comfortable. I, too, complain about traffic and get sentimental about views.

I think the real beauty of this book is that it works on many levels, because while I’m talking up the “look at this doofuses” comedy stuff, this is also a travelogue. It does tell you the sites and the history and the good pubs. It just also happens to be so over-the-top about it that it becomes a parody of travel guides—and there is the time capsule aspect too. Jerome’s portrait of English life and the Thames Valley of the 1880s is perfect. It’s a reminder that however stuffy the Victorians seem, they also had a fabulous sense of humour about themselves.

Recommended to anyone who likes silly British people or silly British books, but especially to fans of P.G. Wodehouse.

Warnings: One instance of the n-slur. Two instances of the g-slur within a single paragraph. One use of “Oriental” in reference to fashion. Victorian opinions of women not necessarily shared by the author.

8/10 ( )
  NinjaMuse | Jul 1, 2020 |
Lazing down the Thames
bored with pretending to work
the dog has more sense. ( )
2 vote Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
I think my expectations for this were a little too high, simply because both of my parents adore it. It was an easy, entertaining read, but not exactly as lifechangingly incredible as I had been led to expect ;) ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
I originally read this because I'm a big fan of Connie Willis and she went on and on about it, but when I actually read it, I was charmed for its own sake. :)

It's all so very droll.

Fish stories, laziness, incompetence, dishonesty, pathos and great verve stud these pages. It's an adventure for the ages! Of course, it's just three men in a boat, to say nothing of the dog.

Set in Victorian England, it captures the overblown hypochondriac feel of the age. :)

Well worth the read, and now I think I'm gonna hunt down takers for a first or re-read of Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog, which, I might add, might be a bit superior in every way. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

There were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency.
I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It's my energetic nature. I can't help it.
I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
You start on Monday with the idea implanted in your bosom that you are going to enjoy yourself. You wave an airy adieu to the boys on shore, light your biggest pipe, and swagger about the deck as if you were Captain Cook, Sir Francis Drake, and Christopher Columbus all rolled into one. On Tuesday, you wish you hadn't come. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, you wish you were dead. On Saturday, you are able to swallow a little beef tea, and to sit up on deck, and answer with a wan, sweet smile when kind-hearted people ask you how you feel now. On Sunday, you begin to walk about again, and take solid food. And on Monday morning, as, with your bag and umbrella in your hand, you stand by the gunwale, waiting to step ashore, you begin to thoroughly like it.
...George, who would not be able to get away from the City till the afternoon (George goes to sleep at a bank from ten to four each day, except Saturdays, when they wake him up and put him outside at two), would meet us there.
The case was becoming serious. It was now past midnight. The hotels at Shiplake and Henley would be crammed; and we could not go round, knocking up cottagers and householders in the middle of the night, to know if they let apartments! George suggested walking back to Henley and assaulting a policeman, and so getting a night's lodging in the station-house. But then there was the thought, "Suppose he only hits us back and refuses to lock us up!"

We could not pass the whole night fighting policemen. Besides, we did not want to overdo the thing and get six months.
unabridged

Trois hommes et un chien. Bienvenue en Absurdie! It is so British.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441216, 0141194790, 024195682X

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,204,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible