Three Men in a Boat—To Say Nothing of the…

Three Men in a Boat—To Say Nothing of the Dog (1889)

by Jerome K. Jerome

Series: Three Men (1)

My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (TadAD)
    TadAD: Imagine Bertie, Bingo and Barmie trying to organize a two-week boating expedition up the Thames. Conversely, imagine J., Harris and George trying to steal a cow creamer for their aunt. There you have it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (wookiebender)
    Jeeves & Wooster: The Inimitable Jeeves; Carry On, Jeeves; Very Good, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (Osbaldistone)
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (raizel)
    raizel: Both have spiritual, transcendent moments in what are, for the most part, silly stories.
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (meggyweg, John_Vaughan)
    The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (meggyweg)
    Swing, Swing Together by Peter Lovesey (myshelves)
    myshelves: Victorian police novel utilizing the theme of Jerome's book.
    The Footsteps at the Lock by Ronald A. Knox (cf66)
    cf66: It's the same scenary
    On Tremendous Trifles by G. K. Chesterton (VivienneR)
    The Pickwick Papers, Vol 1 by Charles Dickens (_eskarina)
    Cordelia Underwood: Or, The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League by Van Reid (wvlibrarydude)
    Our Hearts Were Young and Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: If you enjoy humorous travel stories, you can't go wrong with either one of these books. Both books include descriptions of visits to the Hampton Court maze.
    The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books which appear to be about mundane matters on the surface, but are really about how to live life to the fullest
    La vida exagerada de Martín Romaña by Alfredo Bryce Echenique (chrisharpe)
    Un Homme et une femme dans un bâteau by José-Marie Piquard (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: version moderne sur une rivière française

English (202)  Swedish (3)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Czech (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (214)
Jerome K. Jerome’s Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) recounts a two-week boating holiday on the Thames from Kingston to Oxford and back again. The story focuses on George, Harris, Jerome, and Jerome’s dog, Montmorency, as they plan the trip and recount past stories in the course of their adventures. Jerome humorously muses on the nature of cheese, the habit of visiting tombs in picturesque villages, historical Thames islands like Magna Charta Island, their visitors such as Kings John and Henry VIII, the nature of Victorian-era flirting, the relationships of dogs, the methods of rowing, fish stories, and more. Though some of the situations Jerome describes are uniquely nineteenth-century, the wit of his writing will entertain readers over a hundred years later. This Folio Society edition reprints the original 1889 text with illustrations from Paul Cox that capture the humor of Jerome’s text. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Jul 16, 2019 |
The classic tale of three young men who decide to take a respite from their lives and spend two weeks rowing up the river Thames.

I knew this was a comic novel but I wasn't quite prepared for just how often this book would have me laughing out loud. The many asides our narrator gives on his previous boating experiences, the locales that surround him, and the adventures that he and his two friends as well as his dog get up to had me giggling loudly both at home and in public. Probably best read if you've had some other experience with Victorian literature but highly recommended if you haven't picked this one up already. ( )
  MickyFine | Jun 3, 2019 |
Three Men in a Boat features three gentlemen—Harris, George, and J. (presumably the author)—as they take a fortnight’s holiday rowing up and down the River Thames. Because they are not very used to doing things for themselves (cooking, cleaning, manual labour), they naturally get into difficulties, which is where the comedy comes in.

The tone of the book is droll, very droll, and Hugh Laurie is the perfect choice of reader. These gentlemen are Wodehouseian in nature, so having Bertie Wooster do the narration is inspired. He gets the accent down, and his timing is excellent. I frequently snorted, chortled, or chuckled out loud because of a turn of phrase or a softly landed punchline. This was a light, amusing audio read, and now I want to read it again in print.

I do feel slightly betrayed that the LibraryThing listing says this is an ABRIDGED audio. WTF, audiobook producers?! Give Hugh the whole book to read! ( )
  rabbitprincess | May 19, 2019 |
Three Men in a Boat was originally published in 1889 and was one of my classic selections this quarter. I try to read one or two classics per quarter in the middle of what is otherwise a steady diet of SF&F. This particular choice was a more spur-of-the-moment decision, influenced by the references to it in Connie Willis’ To Say Nothing of the Dog.

It’s quite a short book at around 185 pages and chock full of amusing anecdotes. It doesn’t have much of an actual story to it. Three friends decide to spend a fortnight traveling by boat up the Thames river for health and relaxation. This is literally the extent of the plot. There are no mysteries or twists and turns or anything like that. It also takes a while before the trip commences. The first two characters finally get into the boat after about 25% of the book, and the third man finally makes it into the boat after about 40%.

Even after the boat trip begins, there are many diversions as the characters reminisce about past events that they experienced or heard about. The narrative flows in an almost stream-of-consciousness manner as one anecdote leads to another and then to another before the author returns to the “present” to briefly describe a little more of their boat journey.

The lack of a story kept me from getting very engrossed, but I did laugh a lot while reading it. Most of the anecdotes were quite funny, although some of them were a bit slaptick-ish. The author had a humorous, sarcastic writing voice that I enjoyed and he was full of observations about human nature that modern readers can still easily relate to. I’m rating it at 3.5 stars and rounding down to 3 on Goodreads. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Apr 19, 2019 |
There are loads of reviews on this work, so this is only to say, I loved this book. It is one I will be seeking in hardcover so that I may read it again. I had the ebook version, and although the story was still wonderful, the illustrations were tiny. I need to hold this book, flip the pages back and forth, reread passages, underline some of them and make notes in the margins. I want to have a relationship with it and I can't do that with an ebook. There are not many books I feel that way about.
This one had me laughing out-loud frequently. Not hysterical laughing, but amused laughing. Much of it felt modern, but certain passages made the reader aware of the times the book was written in. I took my time reading this, because I wanted to appreciate it. It is farce, comedy, poetic, philosophical, and retrospective. Good, clean fun. The only thing which could make it better for me, is if I had been on a boating trip on the Thames, but the author describes it in such a way, that I feel I have been. ( )
1 vote MrsLee | Apr 14, 2019 |

Rose, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salami, CarloIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Searle, Ronaldsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tedeschi, AlbertoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency.
I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It's my energetic nature. I can't help it.
I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
You start on Monday with the idea implanted in your bosom that you are going to enjoy yourself. You wave an airy adieu to the boys on shore, light your biggest pipe, and swagger about the deck as if you were Captain Cook, Sir Francis Drake, and Christopher Columbus all rolled into one. On Tuesday, you wish you hadn't come. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, you wish you were dead. On Saturday, you are able to swallow a little beef tea, and to sit up on deck, and answer with a wan, sweet smile when kind-hearted people ask you how you feel now. On Sunday, you begin to walk about again, and take solid food. And on Monday morning, as, with your bag and umbrella in your hand, you stand by the gunwale, waiting to step ashore, you begin to thoroughly like it.
...George, who would not be able to get away from the City till the afternoon (George goes to sleep at a bank from ten to four each day, except Saturdays, when they wake him up and put him outside at two), would meet us there.
The case was becoming serious. It was now past midnight. The hotels at Shiplake and Henley would be crammed; and we could not go round, knocking up cottagers and householders in the middle of the night, to know if they let apartments! George suggested walking back to Henley and assaulting a policeman, and so getting a night's lodging in the station-house. But then there was the thought, "Suppose he only hits us back and refuses to lock us up!"

We could not pass the whole night fighting policemen. Besides, we did not want to overdo the thing and get six months.
unabridged
Trois hommes et un chien. Bienvenue en Absurdie! It is so British.

Martyrs to hypochondria and general seediness, J. and his friends George and Harris decide that a jaunt up the Thames would suit them to a 'T'. But when they set off, they can hardly predict the troubles that lie ahead with tow-ropes, unreliable weather-forecasts and tins of pineapple chunks - not to mention the devastation left in the wake of J.'s small fox-terrier Montmorency. "Three Men in a Boat" was an instant success when it appeared in 1889, and, with its benign escapism, authorial discursions and wonderful evocation of the late-Victorian 'clerking classes', it hilariously captured the spirit of its age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:05 -0400)

J and his friends George and Harris decide that a jaunt up the Thames would suit them to a 'T'. But when they set off, they can hardly predict the troubles that lie ahead with tow-ropes, unreliable weather-forecasts and tins of pineapple chunks - not to mention the devastation left in the wake of J's small fox-terrier Montmorency.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441216, 0141194790, 024195682X

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,291,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible