Three Men in a Boat—To Say Nothing of the…

Three Men in a Boat—To Say Nothing of the Dog (1889)

by Jerome K. Jerome

Series: Three Men (1)

5,6572081,101 (3.91)622
    My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (TadAD)
    TadAD: Imagine Bertie, Bingo and Barmie trying to organize a two-week boating expedition up the Thames. Conversely, imagine J., Harris and George trying to steal a cow creamer for their aunt. There you have it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (wookiebender)
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (raizel)
    raizel: Both have spiritual, transcendent moments in what are, for the most part, silly stories.
    Jeeves & Wooster: The Inimitable Jeeves; Carry On, Jeeves; Very Good, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (Osbaldistone)
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (meggyweg, John_Vaughan)
    The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (meggyweg)
    The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books which appear to be about mundane matters on the surface, but are really about how to live life to the fullest
    Swing, Swing Together by Peter Lovesey (myshelves)
    myshelves: Victorian police novel utilizing the theme of Jerome's book.
    The Footsteps at the Lock by Ronald A. Knox (cf66)
    cf66: It's the same scenary
    The Pickwick Papers, Vol 1 by Charles Dickens (_eskarina)
    On Tremendous Trifles by G. K. Chesterton (VivienneR)
    Cordelia Underwood: Or, The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League by Van Reid (wvlibrarydude)
    Our Hearts Were Young and Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: If you enjoy humorous travel stories, you can't go wrong with either one of these books. Both books include descriptions of visits to the Hampton Court maze.
    La vida exagerada de Martín Romaña by Alfredo Bryce Echenique (chrisharpe)
    Un Homme et une femme dans un bâteau by José-Marie Piquard (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: version moderne sur une rivière française

English (195)  Swedish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (206)
Quintessentially British literature. I read this because of the reference from Connie Willis's To Say Nothing of the Dog. The author goes on a lot of random tangents from the main plot, but it's no less enjoyable because of it. Another laugh-out-loud book.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Fun, amusing--and puts one in the era, and occasionally the mind, of Wodehouse. Some set pieces (and the book is all set pieces) are better than others, but the whole thing is charming. The description of the narrator's uncle trying to hang a picture is spot-on. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
Three Men in a Boat is exactly what it says on the cover -- a travelogue of three young men, plus the terror dog Montmorency, going boating on the Thames for a fortnight. Interspersed with stories from other boating holidays, stories closely or tenuously linked to the river or the towns passed through, and the odd Reflection on Life, this is a slow moving, poetical, and frequently comical ramble.

Unlike many 'classics of English literature', which this book is advertised as on the back cover, this is not a horrid story about horrid people. I don't think that George, Harris, or the narrator would be people I would want to spend much time with, but they do appear to have a friendship that holds together despite the frustrations of their time together. ( )
  fred_mouse | Aug 3, 2018 |
mi ero dimenticata del ginocchio della lavandaia... quante lacrime dal ridere! ( )
  Eva_Filoramo | May 3, 2018 |
Hy-freakin'-sterical. There were moments when J. went off on one of his (many) detail tangents that I would sort of skim over, but that added to the charm. So stinking funny. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |

Ribbons, IanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salami, CarloIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Searle, Ronaldsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tedeschi, AlbertoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency.
I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It's my energetic nature. I can't help it.
I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
You start on Monday with the idea implanted in your bosom that you are going to enjoy yourself. You wave an airy adieu to the boys on shore, light your biggest pipe, and swagger about the deck as if you were Captain Cook, Sir Francis Drake, and Christopher Columbus all rolled into one. On Tuesday, you wish you hadn't come. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, you wish you were dead. On Saturday, you are able to swallow a little beef tea, and to sit up on deck, and answer with a wan, sweet smile when kind-hearted people ask you how you feel now. On Sunday, you begin to walk about again, and take solid food. And on Monday morning, as, with your bag and umbrella in your hand, you stand by the gunwale, waiting to step ashore, you begin to thoroughly like it.
...George, who would not be able to get away from the City till the afternoon (George goes to sleep at a bank from ten to four each day, except Saturdays, when they wake him up and put him outside at two), would meet us there.
The case was becoming serious. It was now past midnight. The hotels at Shiplake and Henley would be crammed; and we could not go round, knocking up cottagers and householders in the middle of the night, to know if they let apartments! George suggested walking back to Henley and assaulting a policeman, and so getting a night's lodging in the station-house. But then there was the thought, "Suppose he only hits us back and refuses to lock us up!"

We could not pass the whole night fighting policemen. Besides, we did not want to overdo the thing and get six months.
unabridged
Trois hommes et un chien. Bienvenue en Absurdie! It is so British.

Martyrs to hypochondria and general seediness, J. and his friends George and Harris decide that a jaunt up the Thames would suit them to a 'T'. But when they set off, they can hardly predict the troubles that lie ahead with tow-ropes, unreliable weather-forecasts and tins of pineapple chunks - not to mention the devastation left in the wake of J.'s small fox-terrier Montmorency. "Three Men in a Boat" was an instant success when it appeared in 1889, and, with its benign escapism, authorial discursions and wonderful evocation of the late-Victorian 'clerking classes', it hilariously captured the spirit of its age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:05 -0400)

"George, William, and J. agree on one thing. They're overworked and need a rest. A week on "the rolling deep"--they decide--may be just the thing! So off they go with Montmorency, the dog, anticipating the joys of long, lazy days during a glorious Victorian summer. What happens to these bungling bachelors on a two-week rowing excursion up the Thames provides fodder for one of the best-known classics of English humor." -- back cover.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441216, 0141194790, 024195682X

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,800,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible