Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began (1991)

by Art Spiegelman

Series: Maus: A Survivor's Tale (2), Maus (2)

A memoir of Vladek Spiegleman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and about his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father, his story, and history. Cartoon format portrays Jews as mice, Nazis as cats. Using a unique comic-strip-as-graphic-art format, the story of Vladek Spiegelman's passage through the Nazi Holocaust is told in his own words. Acclaimed as a "quiet triumph" and a "brutally moving work of art," the first volume of Art Spiegelman's Maus introduced readers to Vladek Spiegelman. The story succeeds perfectly in shocking us out of any lingering sense of familiarity with the events described, approaching, as it does, the unspeakable through the diminutive. As the New York Times Book Review commented, "[it is] a remarkable feat of documentary detail and novelistic vividness ... an unfolding literary event." This long-awaited sequel, subtitled And Here My Troubles Began, moves us from the barracks of Auschwitz to the bungalows of the Catskills. Genuinely tragic and comic by turns, it attains a complexity of theme and a precision of thought new to comics and rare in any medium. Maus ties together two powerful stories: Vladek's harrowing tale of survival against all odds, delineating the paradox of daily life in the death camps, and the author's account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Vladek's troubled remarriage, minor arguments between father and son, and life's everyday disappointments are all set against a backdrop of history too large to pacify. At every level this is the ultimate survivor's tale--and that too of the children who somehow survive even the survivors.… (more)
    Palestine by Joe Sacco (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: This is only for those not too raw after reading Maus and its sequel. I must warn you that Palestine does not paint a pretty picture of Jews or Israel, but Joe Sacco does an amazing job of revealing the story of a people through the use of graphic novel. He uses this genre, as does Art Spiegelman, to reveal heartfelt pain.… (more)
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Tjarda)
    Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (Anonymous user)
    Open Me... I'm a Dog! by Art Spiegelman (JessamyJane)
    Kafka by David Zane Mairowitz (gust)
    De Avonden / Een beeldverhaal 1 by Dick Matena (gust)
    gust: Ook een graphic novel
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (edwasho)
    We Are On Our Own: A Memoir by Miriam Katin (JessamyJane)
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (bertilak)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (SqueakyChu)
    Death Is My Trade by Robert Merle (yokai)

English (127)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (129)
Such a simple, yet effective way of explaining the holocaust, you could say this is a more digestible way of telling a brutal and horrific story, and not only does it tell you about the event itself, it tells you about the life of someone who survived it after it was over, his experiences and how hard life was even after it ended.
The art is great, easily understandable drawings, nothing too complex, but that just adds to the charm really.
Overall an interesting(and quick) read, definetly worth it. ( )
  diogsis | Apr 4, 2022 |
In case anyone doesn’t know, this is (part II of) a graphic novel/memoir of the author’s Jewish father during WWII. The novel skips between the author interviewing his father in order to write the book and back to WWII. Jews are depicted as mice, Nazis as cats, Poles as pigs.

This is actually a reread (originally read 13 years ago), though it looks like the first time around, I read “The Complete Maus”. I read Part I last week; I do have them as separate parts this time, so I am recording them separately.

My review isn’t too much different from my review for Part I last week. I think I liked this better this second time around; I feel like I was paying better attention. Although the current day story in Part II didn’t focus as much on Art’s father and his 2nd wife, but there was still plenty happening in the “current” day with Art, his wife, and his father. We had a few more nationalities in part II, all drawn with/represented by different types of animals. This one also included Art drawing himself dealing with the success of part I’s publication and trying to write/draw part II. This one also had the end of WWII with Art’s father getting out of Auschwitz and meeting up later with Art’s mother. A very good book, and a different way to get the message out about what happened during the Holocaust. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 19, 2022 |
I gave the first in this series a low rating because it just simply ended with no closure on any part of the story and for its abrupt end. This one, explains why the author chose to depict this heady subject using a graphic novel platform and touches on how he was worried about using this method to communicate such a horrible nightmare that was World War II and the persecution and murder of millions of Jews. I feel like the two volumes should have remained as one; but having read both now, I have to say Spiegelman did a great job. From his story, we learn the war never ended for survivors of the Holocaust. Instead, it impacted their daily lives, not just in survivor guilt, but in physical health and psyches that were terribly damaged where one could find no happiness. Compared to the survivors, our people today are very soft. ( )
  swbesecker | Feb 28, 2022 |
Together with the much-acclaimed first volume of Spiegelman's Maus (1987—not reviewed), this unusual Holocaust tale will forever alter the way serious readers think of graphic narratives (i.e., comic books). For his unforgettable combination of words and pictures, Spiegelman draws from high and low culture, and blends autobiography with the story of his father's survival of the concentration camps. In funny-book fashion, the all-too-real characters here have the heads of animals—the Jews are mice, the Nazis are rats, and the Poles are pigs—a stark Orwellian metaphor for dehumanized relations during WW II. Much of Spiegelman's narrative concerns his own struggle to coax his difficult father into remembering a past he'd rather forget. What emerges in father Vladek's tale is a study in survival; he makes it through by luck, randomness, and cleverness. Physically strong, he bluffs his way through the camps as a tinsmith and a shoemaker, and also exploits his ability with languages. Every day in Auschwitz, and later in Dachau, demands new bribes and masterly bartering. All of this helps explain Vladek's art of survival in the present: his cheap, miserly behavior; his disappointment over Spiegelman's marriage to a non-Jew; his constant criticism of his own second wife and his son; and even his inexcusable racism. Haunted by the brother who died in the camps, Spiegelman (born in postwar Sweden) also mourns his mother, who survived only to commit suicide in the late 60's. Within the time span of the writing of Maus (1978-91), Vladek died, and Spiegelman now must sort out his complex feelings as he reflects on the success of the first volume—a success built on the tragedy of the Holocaust. With all his doubts, Spiegelman pushes on, realizing that his book deserves a place in the ongoing struggle between memory and forgetting. Full of hard-earned humor and pathos, Maus (I and II) takes your breath away with its stunning visual style, reminding us that while we can never forget the Holocaust, we may need new ways to remember.
  CDJLibrary | Feb 23, 2022 |
Perhaps no Holocaust narrative will ever contain the whole experience. But Art Spiegelman has found an original and authentic form to draw us closer to its bleak heart.

By writing and drawing simply, directly and earnestly, Mr. Spiegelman is able to lend his father's journey into hell and back an immediacy and poignance... In recounting the tales of both the father and the son in "Maus" and now in "Maus II," Mr. Spiegelman has stretched the boundaries of the comic book form and in doing so has created one of the most powerful and original memoirs to come along in recent years.

Belongs to Series

Maus (2)

Belongs to Publisher Series

Mickey Mouse is the most miserable ideal ever revealed...Healthy emotions tell every independent young man and every honorable youth that the dirty and filth-covered vermin, the greatest bacteria carrier in the animal kingdom, cannot be the ideal type of animal...Away with Jewish brutalization of the people! Down with Mickey Mouse! Wear the Swastika Cross!
--newspaper article, pomerania, Germany, mid-1930s
Thanks to Paul Pavel, Deborah Karl, and Mala Spiegelman for helping this volume into the world.
Thanks to the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation for a fellowship that allowed me to focus on completing Maus.
And my thanks, with love and admiration, to Francoise Mouly for her intelligence, integrity, editorial skills, and for her love.
For Richieu and for Nadja
Summer vacation. Francoise and I were staying with friends in Vermont...
This is the single volume edition of "Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began". It does NOT contain the first volume of the story, Maus I.

DO NOT COMBINE with the omnibus edition containing both Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began!!!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,292,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible