Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began (1991)

by Art Spiegelman

A memoir of Vladek Spiegleman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and about his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father, his story, and history. Cartoon format portrays Jews as mice, Nazis as cats. Using a unique comic-strip-as-graphic-art format, the story of Vladek Spiegelman's passage through the Nazi Holocaust is told in his own words. Acclaimed as a "quiet triumph" and a "brutally moving work of art," the first volume of Art Spiegelman's Maus introduced readers to Vladek Spiegelman. The story succeeds perfectly in shocking us out of any lingering sense of familiarity with the events described, approaching, as it does, the unspeakable through the diminutive. As the New York Times Book Review commented, "[it is] a remarkable feat of documentary detail and novelistic vividness ... an unfolding literary event." This long-awaited sequel, subtitled And Here My Troubles Began, moves us from the barracks of Auschwitz to the bungalows of the Catskills. Genuinely tragic and comic by turns, it attains a complexity of theme and a precision of thought new to comics and rare in any medium. Maus ties together two powerful stories: Vladek's harrowing tale of survival against all odds, delineating the paradox of daily life in the death camps, and the author's account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Vladek's troubled remarriage, minor arguments between father and son, and life's everyday disappointments are all set against a backdrop of history too large to pacify. At every level this is the ultimate survivor's tale--and that too of the children who somehow survive even the survivors.… (more)
Recently added bycoffeebarista, MenloPark, RachelSyme, private library, OldGlebe, lulugv, Lilac22, Andes42, ms.ata, kimberlyrivera1473
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose
    Palestine by Joe Sacco (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: This is only for those not too raw after reading Maus and its sequel. I must warn you that Palestine does not paint a pretty picture of Jews or Israel, but Joe Sacco does an amazing job of revealing the story of a people through the use of graphic novel. He uses this genre, as does Art Spiegelman, to reveal heartfelt pain.… (more)
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Tjarda)
    Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (Anonymous user)
    Open Me... I'm a Dog! by Art Spiegelman (JessamyJane)
    Kafka by David Zane Mairowitz (gust)
    De Avonden / Een beeldverhaal 1 by Dick Matena (gust)
    gust: Ook een graphic novel
    We Are On Our Own: A Memoir by Miriam Katin (JessamyJane)
    Death Is My Trade by Robert Merle (yokai)
    The Plot against America by Philip Roth (bertilak)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (SqueakyChu)

English (113)  Swedish (1)  All languages (114)
This is a hard book to rate. It's an important book, and worth reading. It really does show a lot of the trauma that was left after the Holocaust, even for the survivors. But while I'm glad I read it, it's hard to say that I enjoyed it. How can you say you "enjoyed" reading about such a horrific time in human history, even when it's told in an otherwise enjoyable style? I liked the art style a lot, that's for sure. I connected to the people and their story. I definitely recommend the book (though start with the first one), but remember that it's not an easy subject matter even though it's in graphic novel format. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Oct 9, 2020 |
2014 (my review of a re-read of this and Maus I are on the linked LibraryThing page)
https://www.librarything.com/topic/179643#4954678 ( )
  dchaikin | Sep 20, 2020 |
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
I don't deny that the books are good. It's just that it turned Spiegleman into an egomaniac of the 3rd degree. Suddenly he's everywhere (New Yorker, New York Times) giving his opinions, some which are self-aggrandizing and nonsense. Most of the web has been cleaned of anything negative about him. He's become untouchable because of all his awards. Most of his subsequent work has been mediocre at best. To understand the full picture you have to search for 'art spiegelman vs ted rall'. ( )
  billycongo | Jul 22, 2020 |
This is incredibly powerful, moving, and a gut-wrenching read. Its hard to put down, and its a fantastic story. I also enjoyed the cuts and other pieces, like showing him (the author/creator) being interviewed, how the media/companies want to use his story for money, etc.

This entire series has been so well done, and careful with its subject matter, that its so powerful. Nuanced, strong, very thought provoking and powerful. ( )
1 vote BenKline | Jul 1, 2020 |
Perhaps no Holocaust narrative will ever contain the whole experience. But Art Spiegelman has found an original and authentic form to draw us closer to its bleak heart.

By writing and drawing simply, directly and earnestly, Mr. Spiegelman is able to lend his father's journey into hell and back an immediacy and poignance... In recounting the tales of both the father and the son in "Maus" and now in "Maus II," Mr. Spiegelman has stretched the boundaries of the comic book form and in doing so has created one of the most powerful and original memoirs to come along in recent years.

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Mickey Mouse is the most miserable ideal ever revealed...Healthy emotions tell every independent young man and every honorable youth that the dirty and filth-covered vermin, the greatest bacteria carrier in the animal kingdom, cannot be the ideal type of animal...Away with Jewish brutalization of the people! Down with Mickey Mouse! Wear the Swastika Cross!
--newspaper article, pomerania, Germany, mid-1930s
Thanks to Paul Pavel, Deborah Karl, and Mala Spiegelman for helping this volume into the world.
Thanks to the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation for a fellowship that allowed me to focus on completing Maus.
And my thanks, with love and admiration, to Francoise Mouly for her intelligence, integrity, editorial skills, and for her love.
For Richieu and for Nadja
Summer vacation. Francoise and I were staying with friends in Vermont...
This is the single volume edition of "Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began". It does NOT contain the first volume of the story, Maus I.

DO NOT COMBINE with the omnibus edition containing both Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began!!!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,444,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible