dismiss

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

Bring Up the Bodies (2012)

by Hilary Mantel

Series: Wolf Hall Trilogy (2)

5,1082961,440 (4.33)3 / 878
Though he battled for seven years to marry her, Henry is disenchanted with Anne Boleyn. She has failed to give him a son and her sharp intelligence and audacious will alienate his old friends and the noble families of England. When the discarded Katherine dies in exile from the court, Anne stands starkly exposed, the focus of gossip and malice. At a word from Henry, Thomas Cromwell is ready to bring her down. Over three terrifying weeks, Anne is ensnared in a web of conspiracy, while the demure Jane Seymour stands waiting her turn for the poisoned wedding ring. But Anne and her powerful family will not yield without a ferocious struggle. Hilary Mantel's Bring Up the Bodies follows the dramatic trial of the queen and her suitors for adultery and treason. To defeat the Boleyns, Cromwell must ally with his natural enemies, the papist aristocracy. What price will he pay for Anne's head?… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, rena40, carlypancakes, Yrrol, RajLT, Serrana, Thay1234, FlaglerBeachLibrary, stephvin

English (289)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (295)
This second book in the Wolf Hall trilogy deals Thomas Cromwell during the time King Henry VIII is trying to dump Anne Boleyn for Jane Seymour, and it's not going well. Hey, it's Henry VIII, what did you expect?

When I first tried reading the first in the trilogy, Wolf Hall, I became confused over all the Thomases, and had a hard time figuring out who was who. On the second try, I did better and ended up enjoying the book quite a bit. I enjoyed this one even more. And in this one, the author would frequently say “he, Thomas Cromwell” to help avoid confusion. There is cruelty, intrigue, more than a little backstabbing, and a good deal of history. I expect to enjoy the third book, The Mirror & the Light. Do be warned that these are long books what take a decent investment of your time, but I'm finding them well worth the reading. Or in this case, the listening. The author does a wonderful job of sounding appropriate for the time and place. The narrator, Simon Vance, is one of my favorite narrators and does an excellent job of bringing this story to life. ( )
  TooBusyReading | May 23, 2020 |
It’s the Thomas Cromwell trilogy, but this is an Anne Boleyn book. It’s hard to write a political thriller when the ending is so infamous, but Mantel adds such flesh onto Boleyn’s bones that it feels like a brand new story. ( )
  alexrichman | Apr 13, 2020 |
The second book in the trilogy of Wolf Hall about the life of Thomas Cromwell. In this book, we see Cromwell and his actions and thoughts. It is a narrower focus than the first book. Very interesting comments by Cromwell to Catherine, telling her that if she had done things different, England would not have broken off with the church of Rome. That there are consequences for our decisions. We also see the mean spirit and nagging of Anne Bolyn in this edition that focues on Henry's loss of interest, setting up the witnesses against Anne and the trials of the men who betrayed the king and the executions that followed. We see Cromwell get even with his enemies but also see the vulnerability of Cromwell beginning to show as well.

Quotes:
“The things you think are the disasters in your life are not the disasters really. Almost anything can be turned around: out of every ditch, a path, if you can only see it.”

“God knows our hearts. There is no need for an idle formula or an intermediary. No need for language either: God is beyond translation.”

"She talks of works,' Cranmer shakes his head. 'She says nothing of faith. And I hoped she understood, as I now understand, that we are saved, not by our works, but only through Christ's sacrifice, and through his merits, not our own."

I really have enjoyed this historical series and like the emphasis that the author has taken to show the battle between the Roman church and England that is played out in the lives of the Tudors. There is a great deal of sexual content. I wonder at this and of the historical accuracy of such things as incest and adultery, but I do not think it unlikely. ( )
  Kristelh | Mar 24, 2020 |
"What is the nature of the border between truth and lies? It is permeable and blurred because it is planted thick with rumour, confabulation, misunderstandings and twisted tales. Truth can break the gates down, truth can howl in the street; unless truth is pleasing, personable and easy to like, she is condemned to stay whimpering at the back door."

This is one of the best works of historical fiction I have ever read and it was even better the second time around. Thank you to Hilary Mantel, for writing this splendid novel. ( )
1 vote This-n-That | Feb 23, 2020 |
Here, as elsewhere, Mantel’s real triumph is her narrative language. It’s not the musty Olde English of so much historical fiction, but neither is it quite contemporary. The Latinate “exsanguinates” is a perfect 16th-century touch, and so is that final, Anglo-Saxon “gore.” In some of her books, Mantel is pretty scabrous in her descriptions of present-day England, its tawdriness and cheesiness and weakness for cliché and prettifying euphemism. “Bring Up the Bodies” (the title refers to the four men executed for supposedly sleeping with Anne) isn’t nostalgic, exactly, but it’s astringent and purifying, stripping away the cobwebs and varnish of history, the antique formulations and brocaded sentimentality of costume-­drama novels, so that the English past comes to seem like something vivid, strange and brand new.

Geen gehijg tussen de lakens in Bring up the bodies (Het boek Henry), geen hete kussen bij maanlicht. Toch is Hilary Mantels versie van de perikelen van de Tudors de meest opwindende ooit.

Is Bring Up the Bodies better than, worse than or equal to Wolf Hall? While lacking, necessarily, the shocking freshness of the first book, it is narrower, tighter, at times a more brilliant and terrifying novel. Of her historical interpretations, Mantel says in her afterword that she is "making the reader a proposal, an offer", but what is striking is how little concerned she is with the reader. Her prose makes no concessions to the disorientated: a moment's distraction and you have to start the page again. Mantel, like Cromwell, seems not to mind if we are there or not: she is writing, as he was living, for herself alone.

"Mantel knows what to select, how to make her scenes vivid, how to kindle her characters."
added by bookfitz | editThe New Yorker, James Wood (May 7, 2012)

We read historical fiction for the same reason we keep watching Hamlet: it's not what, it's how. And although we know the plot, the characters themselves do not. Mantel leaves Cromwell at a moment that would appear secure: four of his ill-wishing enemies, in addition to Anne, have just been beheaded, and many more have been neutralised. England will have peace, though it's "the peace of the hen coop when the fox has run home". But really Cromwell is balancing on a tightrope, with his enemies gathering and muttering offstage. The book ends as it begins, with an image of blood-soaked feathers.

But its end is not an end. "There are no endings," says Mantel. "If you think so you are deceived as to their nature. They are all beginnings. This is one." Which will lead us to the final instalment, and to the next batch of Henry's wives and Cromwell's machinations. How much intricate spadework will it take to "dig out" Cromwell, that "sleek, plump, and densely inaccessible" enigma? Reader, wait and see.

Mantel, Hilaryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pracher, RickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willems, IneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Am I not a man like other men? Am I not? Am I not?"

Henry VIII to Eustache Chapuys, Imperial Ambassador
Once again to Mary Robertson; after my right harty commendacions, and with spede.
His children are falling from the sky.
What is the nature of the border between truth and lies?...Truth can break the gates down, truth can howl in the street; unless truth is pleasing, personable and easy to like, she is condemned to stay whimpering at the back door.
[The Italians] say the road between England and Hell is worn bare from treading feet, and runs downhill all the way.
You can be merry with the king, you can share a joke with him. But as Thomas More used to say, it's like sporting with a tamed lion. You tousle its mane and pull its ears, but all the time you're thinking, those claws, those claws, those claws.
You have always regarded women as disposable, my lord, and you cannot complain if in the end they think the same of you.

"The sequel to Hilary Mantel’s 2009 Man Booker Prize winner and New York Times bestseller, Wolf Hall delves into the heart of Tudor history with the downfall of Anne Boleyn Though he battled for seven years to marry her, Henry is disenchanted with Anne Boleyn. She has failed to give him a son and her sharp intelligence and audacious will alienate his old friends and the noble families of England. When the discarded Katherine dies in exile from the court, Anne stands starkly exposed, the focus of gossip and malice. At a word from Henry, Thomas Cromwell is ready to bring her down. Over three terrifying weeks, Anne is ensnared in a web of conspiracy, while the demure Jane Seymour stands waiting her turn for the poisoned wedding ring. But Anne and her powerful family will not yield without a ferocious struggle. Hilary Mantel’s Bring Up the Bodies follows the dramatic trial of the queen and her suitors for adultery and treason. To defeat the Boleyns, Cromwell must ally with his natural enemies, the papist aristocracy. What price will he pay for Anne’s head?"-- Provided by publisher.

"Though he battled for seven years to marry her, Henry is disenchanted with Anne Boleyn. She has failed to give him a son and her sharp intelligence and audacious will alienate his old friends and the noble families of England. When the discarded Katherine dies in exile from the court, Anne stands starkly exposed, the focus of gossip and malice. At a word from Henry, Thomas Cromwell is ready to bring her down. Over three terrifying weeks, Anne is ensnared in a web of conspiracy, while the demure Jane Seymour stands waiting her turn for the poisoned wedding ring. But Anne and her powerful family will not yield without a ferocious struggle. Hilary Mantel’s Bring Up the Bodies follows the dramatic trial of the queen and her suitors for adultery and treason. To defeat the Boleyns, Cromwell must ally with his natural enemies, the papist aristocracy. What price will he pay for Anne’s head?"-- Provided by publisher.
[retrieved from loc.gov (Library of Congress)]
Anne Boleyn's pride comes
before her fall. By the end
she's a head shorter.
(passion4reading)
Just desserts are served,
Uneasy lies the queen's head,
The usurper's fate.
(hillaryrose7)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Hilary Mantel's book Bring Up The Bodies was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,530,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible