The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur…

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1902)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: The Sherlock Holmes Collection (8)

10,672226395 (3.92)3 / 446
My TBR (14)

English (207)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Czech (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (225)
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | May 21, 2019 |
Classic Sherlock Holmes at his finest. A great story with thrills along the way. I've read and seen the movie versions of this story multiple times, but I still enjoy reading this over and over again. The story never gets old. ( )
  jguidry | Mar 12, 2019 |
I remember reading this in high school. I think I enjoyed it this time around much more. An easy read, but a mystery all the same. ( )
  BookLove80 | Mar 11, 2019 |
A chilling mystery. Again and again I've read this and my appreciation continues to grow. Now that I've read the Holmes stories written before The Hound of the Baskervilles I can really see how far Doyle came as an artist. Doyle gives Watson free reign in his descriptive language of the Devonshire moor in October:
“To his eyes all seemed beautiful, but to me a tinge of melancholy lay upon the countryside, which bore so clearly the mark of the waning year, Yellow leaves carpeted the lanes and fluttered down upon us as we passed, The rattle of our wheels died away as we drove through drifts of rotting vegetation--sad gifts, as it seemed to me, for Nature to throw before the carriage of the returning heir of the Baskervilles.” Most of you know the plot - after the mysterious death of the benevolent master of a remote country estate, Holmes is enlisted to solve the mystery of a two hundred year old curse and save the life (and mind) of the young heir to Baskerville Hall. Watson must go ahead alone to investigate. The prose is beautiful and yet it continues to remind the reader at every turn that all is not well here. Watson has taken Holmes' lessons of cold rationalism to heart, but must go head to head with the Gothic literary tradition here, complete with brooding ancestral estates, unexplained crying in the night, candles pressed against cold windows and a treacherous landscape. Holmes himself may not fall prey to the atmosphere, but few others escape unscathed.

The Complete Novels and Stories, Vol II ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Probably the best known of the Sherlock Holmes stories. I love the Poe like eeriness of this story in the characters, the scenery and the sound ominous foreboding moor the locked its secrets with trepidation, superstition and fear. ( )
  tkgbjenn1 | Jan 4, 2019 |

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet; The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Celebrated Cases of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a teacher's guide

This story owes its inception to my friend, Mr Fletcher Robinson, who has helped me both in the general plot and in the local details
Mr. Sherlock Holmes, who was usually very late in the mornings, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table.
A long, low moan, indescribably sad, swept over the moor. It filled the whole air, and yet it was impossible to say whence it came. From a dull murmur it swelled into a deep roar, and then sank back into a melancholy, throbbing murmur once again. Stapleton looked at me with a curious expression in his face.

"Queer place, the moor!" said he.
This is the main work for The Hound of the Baskervilles. Please do not combine it with any abridgement, adaptation, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

In one of the greatest mystery thrillers ever written, Sherlock Homes unravels the case of the Hound of the Baskervilles. Holmes and his companion Dr. Watson travel to the wilds of Dartmoor, England, to discover the truth behind the death of Sir Charles Baskerville. Did he die of natural causes? Or could he have fallen victim to the family curse, a ghostly hound? This abridgment for younger readers captures the atmosphere of fear and unease that pervades the novel like the fog over the moor. It also conveys the fascinating character and the humorous eccentricities of Sherlock Holmes, the world's greatest detective. Fact-filled columns and pages explore the background to the story, the history of detection, the life of the author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and the lasting influence of his great creation, Sherlock Holmes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451528018, Mass Market Paperback)

We owe 1902's The Hound of the Baskervilles to Arthur Conan Doyle's good friend Fletcher "Bobbles" Robinson, who took him to visit some scary English moors and prehistoric ruins, and told him marvelous local legends about escaped prisoners and a 17th-century aristocrat who fell afoul of the family dog. Doyle transmogrified the legend: generations ago, a hound of hell tore out the throat of devilish Hugo Baskerville on the moonlit moor. Poor, accursed Baskerville Hall now has another mysterious death: that of Sir Charles Baskerville. Could the culprit somehow be mixed up with secretive servant Barrymore, history-obsessed Dr. Frankland, butterfly-chasing Stapleton, or Selden, the Notting Hill murderer at large? Someone's been signaling with candles from the mansion's windows. Nor can supernatural forces be ruled out. Can Dr. Watson--left alone by Sherlock Holmes to sleuth in fear for much of the novel--save the next Baskerville, Sir Henry, from the hound's fangs?

Many Holmes fans prefer Doyle's complete short stories, but their clockwork logic doesn't match the author's boast about this novel: it's "a real Creeper!" What distinguishes this particular Hound is its fulfillment of Doyle's great debt to Edgar Allan Poe--it's full of ancient woe, low moans, a Grimpen Mire that sucks ponies to Dostoyevskian deaths, and locals digging up Neolithic skulls without next-of-kins' consent. "The longer one stays here the more does the spirit of the moor sink into one's soul," Watson realizes. "Rank reeds and lush, slimy water-plants sent an odour of decay ... while a false step plunged us more than once thigh-deep into the dark, quivering mire, which shook for yards in soft undulations around our feet ... it was as if some malignant hand was tugging us down into those obscene depths." Read on--but, reader, watch your step! --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

La ms famosa de las historias de Sherlock Holmes, El sabueso de los Baskerville presenta el fantasma del sabueso de Dartmoor, el que, segn cuenta la leyenda, ha acosado a generaciones de Baskervilles. Cuando Sir Charles Baskeville muere repentinamente de un ataque cardaco en la finca de su familia, los lugareos se hallan convencido que el fantasma del famoso sabueso es el responsable. Sherlock Holmes es llamado -una vez ms- para resolver el extrao misterio.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528018, 014043786X, 0141034327, 0141195223, 0241952875, 0141199172

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102650, 1400108977, 1400115159

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175021, 190917503X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,557,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible