East of Eden by John Steinbeck

East of Eden (1952)

by John Steinbeck

17,310325156 (4.39)1 / 823
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (Booksloth)
    The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (John_Vaughan)
    Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: epic western novel with similar voice
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (cometahalley, cometahalley)
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (cometahalley)
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (cometahalley)
    Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald (sushidog)
    sushidog: Epic family novels
    A Journey into Steinbeck's California by Susan Shillinglaw (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Fascinating coffee table book, lavishly illustrated with photos and maps, well-written too. Sort of Steinbeck's "Californian" biography, though it also covers his living in New York and travels to Mexico. Plenty of interesting real-life background of "East of Eden" and many of his other works. Compelling insight into Steinbeck's personality.… (more)
    The Cairo Trilogy: Palace Walk, Palace of Desire, Sugar Street by Naguib Mahfouz (paulkid)
    paulkid: These books are fathers-and-sons family epics that are set around the turn of the (20th) century. They both have philosophical and coming-of-age themes as well.
    Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey (weener)
    weener: An epic, fascinating family drama.
    Años Inolvidables by John Dos Passos (cometahalley)
    The Notebook / The Proof / The Third Lie by Ágota Kristóf (UrliMancati)
    Abel Sanchez and Other Stories by Miguel de Unamuno (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: The story of Cain and Abel reimagined in a more modern setting
1950s (15)
To Read (91)

English (309)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (321)
This is the story of two families - the Hamiltons and the Trasks. It takes place in and around California's Salinas Valley (which is actually where John Steinbeck was born) in the mid to late 1800's through the 1900s. This story spans multiple generations of these two families introducing many characters along the way. The Hamiltons were a large family of many children who lived and worked on a farm and barely got by. The Trasks were a more well off family with two sons that were raised by their father.

Over the course of the book - both families have children, they grow, get married, move away, start their own families. Their families continue to interact over the years - each weaving into the other among various avenues. There is sadness and happiness, marriage and death, and everything in between.

I enjoyed this book. It was.....long. I thought the writing was excellent. It might have been a little wordy - most in the story than needed to be to get his point across, but for the most part, it flowed nicely. The characters were likable and I found myself wanting to know what was going to happen to them. Sagas make great books because from where it starts to where it ends, entire lives pass through and you become invested in their stories.

Check it out. You need to invest in this book - this is not a light read, or something you can do and watch TV at the same time. But it is worth it. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
It starts slow, but picks up a lot of speed. The writing is enjoyable, and the characters are fascinating. I felt guilty reading. Steinbeck toys with his characters, sticking them with needles and making them suffer, so that they can have profound conversations. It is like a science fiction novel, based on the premise that deep down every conversation has to be about the meaning of life. Natural dialog? Not at all. But satisfying. ( )
  breic | Dec 30, 2018 |
My favorite book ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
I had some issues with the beginning of this book-there are a number of lengthy asides on the landscape and some characters that are not really relevant to the story. Overall, though, this is an ambitious look at the conflict between good and evil and free will. The conflict plays out through generations in the forms of business, war and sibling rivalry. Impeccable writing and sweeping themes justify its place as a classic of American literature. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
I want people like Samuel Hamilton and Lee in my life. I know that I'll return to this book just to hang out with them again. ( )
  lhofer | Sep 26, 2018 |

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Pascal Covici

Dear Pat,

You came upon me carving some kind of little figure out of wood and you said, "Why don't you make something for me?" I asked you what you wanted, and you said, "A box." "What for?" "To put things in." "What things?" "Whatever you have," you said. Well, here's your box. Nearly everything I have is in it, and it is not full. Pain and excitement are in it, and feeling good or bad and evil thoughts and good thoughts--the pleasure of design and some despair and the indescribable joy of creation.

And on top of these are all the graditude and love I have for you. And still the box is not full.

JOHN

The Salinas Valley is in Northern California.
You must not forget that a monster is only a variation, and that to a monster the norm is monstrous.
I don't very much believe in blood. I think when a man finds good or bad in his children he is seeing only what he planted in them after they cleared the womb. - Samuel Hamilton
And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual.

Often described as Steinbeck's most ambitious novel, East of Eden brings to life the intricate details of two families, the Trasks and the Hamiltons, and their interwoven stories.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000655, Paperback)

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. The biblical account of Cain and Abel is echoed in the history of two generations of the Trask family in California.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

This sprawling and often brutal novel, set in the rich farmlands of California's Salinas Valley, follows the intertwined destinies of two families--the Trasks and the Hamiltons--whose generations helplessly reenact the fall of Adam and Eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abel.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185074, 0241952492

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,674,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible