All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich…

All Quiet on the Western Front (1929)

by Erich Maria Remarque

13,788306267 (4.1)1 / 974
    The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Also by Remarque, The Road Back is often considered a sequel to All Quiet. It has some of the same characters and alludes to others.
    Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Taken together, Jünger's memoir and Remarque's novel present a pair of radically different views of the German experience in World War I.
    Lay Down Your Arms! by Bertha von Suttner (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: Two anti-war novels written in German. Suttner wrote before WWI about how war affects the families, Remarque after the war about how it affected the soldiers.
    Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Nickelini, chrisharpe)
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (usnmm2)
    Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque (Anonymous user)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (Simone2)
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (chrisharpe)
    1948: A Soldier's Tale - The Bloody Road to Jerusalem by Uri Avnery (Polaris-)
    Generals Die in Bed by Charles Yale Harrison (charlie68)
    charlie68: Also gritty front line portraying of the Great War.
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at the personal toll of war.
    The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (aliklein)
    A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry (starfishian)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)
    Johnny the Partisan by Beppe Fenoglio (UrliMancati)
    The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna (andejons)
    The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman (charlie68)
    The Middle Parts of Fortune by Frederic Manning (timspalding, timspalding)
    The Donkeys by Alan Clark (charlie68)
    Adjusting Sights by Haim Sabato (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at war without mentioning the politics that go along with it.

1920s (10)
Elevenses (194)
Europe (41)

English (276)  French (6)  German (5)  Yiddish (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Czech (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (305)
Remarque's "All Quiet on the Western Front" is a masterpiece.

This novel follows Paul Baumer and his classmates who all enlisted at 18 years of age, encouraged by their "schoolmaster," in the German Army during WW1.

This is a superb translation, making you feel what these soldiers feel, putting you right there in the battle with them, but not only in the battle but also inside their young, wounded souls. This novel is a gut-wrenching account of the futility and wastefulness of war, especially for the young. ( )
  atdCross | Jun 11, 2019 |
(27) Every year around this time I read a book from the past that left an impression, and this was this year's. I wrote the below review over 10 years ago when I started my LT catalog; but even this was based on recollection from a read ~ 15years in the past:
"I read this for a college course on German literature and I think this was my favorite book that we read. Probably the first war novel I read . . probably one of the most powerful war novels that I've read. This may be a stupid thing to take away from it -- but I feel sick about all those horses killed in WW1"

I would mostly agree with my old self, though I feel more sick now about the men than the horses in retrospect. This was so devastating. So hopeless and depressing. How death and destruction can become so commonplace that you are reduced to not much more than an animal scrabbling to survive - grabbing at food and boots your dying friends won't need anymore. But what was most painful to read was Paul's desperate compassion for the Russian prisoners and the man he knifes in the trench. The dawning realization that the enemy is just like him -- the absolute and astounding cruel truth of mens wars. pointless. wasteful. Ugh - it just beggars the imagination that men (and I do mean Y chromosomes not the universal term men) can be so delusional as to think it is a good idea. The ultimate crime against humanity.

Anyway - obviously a powerful book. Why not 5 stars - there are times when the prose gets a bit swollen and repetitive and almost veers into poetry that disengages the reader from the cold hard truths that the author is presenting - the more straightforward prose about Paul's actions and reactions to his home visit, the harrowing night spent behind the lines, the horse running and tripping on his intestines - this stark narration serves to highlight the horror, the alienation, the internal death of Paul's soul better than any maudlin musing about 'lost youth,' etc. There were times that I read in a rush to push past, to maybe welcome what I knew the ending would be. Whether this was because I had read before or was occasionally disengaged is the only reason for the star off.

Great (anti-) War novel - I will insist my boys read this as soon as I think they are able - certainly before they choose a (young) adult path forward in life. ( )
  jhowell | Jun 3, 2019 |
An unexpectedly beautiful book. I liked the way he would mirror horror and humour, memory and the loss of the past. Or at the beginning where he builds a picture of the degradation of the human animal only to contrast it with a description of the psychic force of the Front that you can’t help feeling the awe of, even when you know that it’s just a killing zone. Really, I can’t fault the book.

It’s obvious why the Nazi’s would hate it so much. It’s completely off-message. What was Remarque thinking!? I have added a star for getting banned by the Nazis ( )
  Lukerik | May 30, 2019 |
Thought it might be over rated before I read it, but it deserves to be called a classic. Deep, brutal, insightful and tragic and so short it can be read in a week. Well worth it. ( )
  charlie68 | May 21, 2019 |
A classic of the anti-war genre. Read in HS during the Vietnam era. ( )
  4bonasa | Apr 15, 2019 |

Lawrence, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murdoch, BrianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westphalen, TilmanAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheen, A.W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.
We are at rest five miles behind the front.
The war has ruined us for everything.
We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces. The first bomb, the first explosion, burst in our hearts. We are cut off from activity, from striving, from progress. We believe in such things no longer, we believe in the war.
But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony.
Every little bean should be heard as well as seen.
We are little flames poorly sheltered by frail walls against the storm of dissolution and madness, in which we flicker and sometimes almost go out.
- page 298

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449213943, Mass Market Paperback)

Paul Baumer enlisted with his classmates in the German army of World War I. Youthful, enthusiastic, they become soldiers. But despite what they have learned, they break into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. And as horrible war plods on year after year, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the principles of hate that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against each other--if only he can come out of the war alive.
"The world has a great writer in Erich Maria Remarque. He is a craftsman of unquestionably first trank, a man who can bend language to his will. Whether he writes of men or of inanimate nature, his touch is sensitive, firm, and sure."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:25 -0400)

The testament of Paul Baumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I, illuminates the savagery and futility of war.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,554,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible