dismiss

All Quiet on the Western Front (1929)

by Erich Maria Remarque

14,862332260 (4.09)1 / 1002
The testament of Paul Baumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I, illuminates the savagery and futility of war.
    The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Also by Remarque, The Road Back is often considered a sequel to All Quiet. It has some of the same characters and alludes to others.
    Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Taken together, Jünger's memoir and Remarque's novel present a pair of radically different views of the German experience in World War I.
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (usnmm2)
    Lay Down Your Arms! by Bertha von Suttner (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: Two anti-war novels written in German. Suttner wrote before WWI about how war affects the families, Remarque after the war about how it affected the soldiers.
    Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Nickelini, chrisharpe)
    Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque (Anonymous user)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (Simone2)
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (chrisharpe)
    1948: A Soldier's Tale - The Bloody Road to Jerusalem by Uri Avnery (Polaris-)
    Generals Die in Bed by Charles Yale Harrison (charlie68)
    charlie68: Also gritty front line portraying of the Great War.
    The Donkeys by Alan Clark (charlie68)
    The Wars by Timothy Findley (Cecrow)
    The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman (charlie68)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)
    A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry (starfishian)
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at the personal toll of war.
    Johnny the Partisan by Beppe Fenoglio (UrliMancati)
    The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (aliklein)
    The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna (andejons)
    Border Crossings by Aubrey Verboven (Aubrey_Verboven)

1920s (10)
Elevenses (194)
Europe (52)

English (293)  French (6)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Yiddish (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (326)
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Remekül megírt történet a háború borzalmairól. A témától eltekintve igen olvasmányos. Az emberi sorsok viszik előre a történetet, annak a világnak a képe, amelyet mégcsak elképzelni sem tudunk. Történelem élőben, az első sorból, testközelből. Nem az eszmék csatája, hanem az élet küzdelme. A Madárdal után egy kicsit már hozzászoktam, legalábbis néhány körülmény nem volt újdonság a számomra. Ami ugyanaz a két történetben: nem lehet megérteni külső szemlélőnek, sem kortársnak, sem később jövőnek; nem lehet átadni, nem lehet megosztani. A tapasztalatunk túl kevés ehhez... ( )
  gjudit8 | Aug 3, 2020 |
A very depressing read. The account of a German infantryman during WWI. The reality of the horror of trench warfare is well told and reading a story from the perspective of a soldier on the other side is worth while. Nevertheless, it is not an enjoyable read. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
An excellent account of a young soldier who encounters the horror and reality of war. Highly recommended. ( )
  dolly22 | Jul 9, 2020 |

Lawrence, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murdoch, BrianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westphalen, TilmanAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheen, A.W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.
We are at rest five miles behind the front.
The war has ruined us for everything.
We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces. The first bomb, the first explosion, burst in our hearts. We are cut off from activity, from striving, from progress. We believe in such things no longer, we believe in the war.
But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony.
Every little bean should be heard as well as seen.
We are little flames poorly sheltered by frail walls against the storm of dissolution and madness, in which we flicker and sometimes almost go out.
- page 298

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,257,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible