All Quiet on the Western Front (1929)

by Erich Maria Remarque

Series: Remarque's Great War Duology (1)

16,752366252 (4.1)1 / 1052
The testament of Paul Baumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I, illuminates the savagery and futility of war.
    The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Also by Remarque, The Road Back is often considered a sequel to All Quiet. It has some of the same characters and alludes to others.
    Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Taken together, Jünger's memoir and Remarque's novel present a pair of radically different views of the German experience in World War I.
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (usnmm2)
    Lay Down Your Arms! by Bertha von Suttner (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: Two anti-war novels written in German. Suttner wrote before WWI about how war affects the families, Remarque after the war about how it affected the soldiers.
    Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Nickelini, chrisharpe)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (Simone2)
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (chrisharpe)
    Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque (Anonymous user)
    Generals Die in Bed by Charles Yale Harrison (charlie68)
    charlie68: Also gritty front line portraying of the Great War.
    The Wars by Timothy Findley (Cecrow)
    The Donkeys by Alan Clark (charlie68)
    Four Soldiers by Hubert Mingarelli (susanbooks)
    1948: A Soldier's Tale - The Bloody Road to Jerusalem by Uri Avnery (Polaris-)
    The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman (charlie68)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)
    The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (aliklein)
    The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna (andejons)
    Regeneration by Pat Barker (sdbear)
    sdbear: Journey of poet Siegfried Sassoon through the futility of WW1 and madness.
    A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry (starfishian)
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at the personal toll of war.

Europe (3)
Elevenses (209)
1920s (56)

English (331)  French (6)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Yiddish (3)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (366)
Loved this book. It is definitely a book that you have to grow into a bit - in the beginning it can read a bit slow and take a while to get into. However, the story and writing is absolutely heartbreaking, but beautiful at the same time. Definitely recommended! ( )
  vdh01 | Jul 18, 2022 |
87/6-Απογοητευτική πραγματικά η ζωή των στρατιωτών ακόμη κι αυτών που είναι από τη μεριά των "κακών". Ο πόλεμος καταστρέφει μυαλά, συνειδήσεις, οικογένειες, χαρακτήρες, ελπίδες. Μετά μένει μόνο η μιζέρια και ο πόνος. Τραγικό βιβλίο δε το συζητώ ( )
  Will_Trent | Jul 6, 2022 |
The Classic story of the brutality of the western Front. A description of a soldier's initial exposure to the conflict that raged for four years. It is unremitting in the realism of the experience. Read in conjuction with "The Red Badge of Courage" it seems to sum up the "Face of Battle" in John Keegan's telling phrase. There are really no sub-plots, and no real backstory. It seems to be a theraputic book, and his later writings were far more literary and conventional. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jun 27, 2022 |
8432082422
  archivomorero | Jun 25, 2022 |
All Quiet on the Western Front is one of those books everyone should read once for a bit of perspective on life. ( )
  NicholeReadsWithCats | Jun 17, 2022 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.
We are at rest five miles behind the front.
The war has ruined us for everything.
We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces. The first bomb, the first explosion, burst in our hearts. We are cut off from activity, from striving, from progress. We believe in such things no longer, we believe in the war.
But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony.
Every little bean should be heard as well as seen.
We are little flames poorly sheltered by frail walls against the storm of dissolution and madness, in which we flicker and sometimes almost go out.
- page 298

Svetoznámy príbeh siedmych spolužiakov vohnaných do sveta surového násilia je realistickým zobrazením hrôz 1. svetovej vojny.

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,570,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible