Dune by Frank Herbert

Dune (1965)

by Frank Herbert

Series: Dune (1), Dune Saga (12), Dune: complete chronology (8)

29,22944564 (4.29)3 / 851
Here is the novel that will be forever considered a triumph of the imagination. Set on the desert planet Arrakis, Dune is the story of the boy Paul Atreides, who would become the mysterious man known as Muad'Dib. He would avenge the traitorous plot against his noble family-and would bring to fruition humankind's most ancient and unattainable dream. A stunning blend of adventure and mysticism, environmentalism and politics, Dune won the first Nebula Award, shared the Hugo Award, and formed the basis of what it undoubtedly the grandest epic in science fiction.… (more)
    Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Patangel, JonTheTerrible, philAbrams)
    JonTheTerrible: The pace of these books are similar as well as the topics they cover: society and government. The science plays only a small role in both books but is present enough to successfully build the worlds in which the characters inhabit.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    The Faded Sun Trilogy by C. J. Cherryh (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Same basic sort of premise - SciFi set on desert worlds inspires the rise of a galactic empire, but very different outcomes!
    Gateway by Frederik Pohl (Vonini)
    A Door Into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski (Anonymous user)
    Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Both books are a subtle blend of science fiction and fantasy while being truly epic stories. Although Dune remains a superior literary achievement in my view, Silverberg's Majipoor series is a credible alternative.
    Grass by Sheri S. Tepper (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the description of the planet.
    Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different in tone, but similar in scope, plus it's also about the lengths to which empires will go to maintain the status quo.
    The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Ecological science fiction.
    Singularity Sky by Charles Stross (hyper7)
    hyper7: Singularity Sky could have been set in the Dune universe.
    The King Must Die & The Bull from the Sea by Mary Renault (themulhern)
    themulhern: Young man with special powers and noble blood overthrows the established order through cunning and charisma. In the process he changes his people and then the rot sets in.
    The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Similar tropes in the form of human computers and a native species capable of granting youth, and the powerful woman trying to breed a special child- The Snow Queen seems on one level a response to Dune, taking many of the same elements and twisting them around, while going in quite different directions in other ways.… (more)
    Marrow by Robert Reed (Sandwich76)
    The Lazarus Effect by Frank Herbert (d_perlo)
    d_perlo: So you have read Frank Herbert's Dune series and want more? Thy The Lazarus Effect, The Jesus Incident, and The Ascension Factor, also by Frank Herbert. This is his take on a water world.
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (sturlington)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Broken God by David Zindell (whiten06)
    whiten06: Another coming-of-age story with the protagonist gaining god-like knowledge through the use of hallucinogens.
    The Enterprise of Death by Jesse Bullington (Sandwich76)
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (philAbrams)
    philAbrams: Little things that just add up, despite different major themes.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.

1960s (33)
(2)

English (436)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (443)
Fantastic Scifi. The world building is insane, and the characters are fantastic. There is very little downtime, it is devious and plots within plots straight through. Political, religious, and lots of bloodshed. The tale never lets up. ( )
  Philthy | Jan 9, 2020 |
Just finished reading, still working through what I think. It was quite a grandiose story, and I immediately ordered the remaining 5 books in the series off amazon. This was my foray back into reading after having not read seriously for 2+ years and I believe it has reignited my love of books. Herbert's world building is obviously meticulous in its design and that really shines in the story and characters. I'm going to wait to write much more about it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  Kalmarv | Dec 31, 2019 |
This book was given to me when Jake's coworker cleaned out his bookshelves. It was a worn paperback copy so large it was impossible to hold without creasing the spine in the middle. I liked this book a lot. I thought I'd roll my eyes more at all the made-up stuff and "Yea, therefore the prophet ..." but it was really a lovely allegory for like, ya know... capitalism, religion and I guess also devolution. ( )
  mirnanda | Dec 27, 2019 |
It has been fifty years since I first read this book as an adolescent. It is as enjoyable now as it was then.

This is the saga of Paul Atreides, the boy who assumes the messianic role of the Muad' Dib ("desert rat"). Paul's father, Duke Leto Atreides, recently granted the desert planet Arakis by the Emperor, has been assassinated by his enemy, the morbidly obese Baron Harkonnen, for the planet's lucative spice trade. Paul and his mother, the quasi-religious and mystical Bene Gesserit trained concubine of Duke Leto. The two receive sanctuary from the Fremen, Bedouin-like tribes who have learned to survive and thrive on the arid Arakis. As Paul rises in rank within the Fremen, revenge becomes imminent.

This science-fiction novel, winner of both the Hugo and Nebula awards, has been translated to two (soon to be three) movies and two television series. It is complex in its literary presentation including both a world of the future with interplanetary transportation, nuclear weapons, stillsuits, and shield barriers and a world of the medieval past with fiefdoms, nobility, and arranged marriages. It includes elements of Christianity and Islam. But, more importantly, it is a stellar adventure story similar to the worlds of Robert Louis Stevenson, Alexander Dumas, and Herman Melville. The Dune universe has a rightful place in any library alongside these other classics. ( )
  John_Warner | Dec 12, 2019 |
Fascinating world. Interesting combination of politics and psychology as applied to the characters' small gestures, intonations, etc. Has also been a while since I read a traditional hero-story, so appreciated Paul (who I thought was a compelling hero). Thought the plotting and characters got somewhat looser at the end, but not to the extent that it made the whole novel unsatisfying. ( )
  Alex_JN | Dec 10, 2019 |
Why is Blanch’s influence on Dune worth recognizing? Celebrating Blanch is not a means to discredit Herbert, whose imaginative novel transcends the sum of its influences. But Dune remains massively popular while The Sabres of Paradise languishes in relative obscurity, and renewed public interest in Blanch’s forgotten history would be a welcome development.

Isaac Asimov’s Foundation trilogy was famously inspired by Edward Gibbon’s Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. J. R. R. Tolkien’s background in medieval languages helped shape the mythology of Middle Earth. Frank Herbert’s Dune is no different, and rediscovering one of the book’s most significant influences is a rewarding experience.

One of the monuments of modern science fiction.
added by GYKM | editChicago Tribune

Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dune (1984IMDb)
Dune (2000IMDb)
To the people whose labours go beyond ideas into the realm of 'real materials' - to the dry-land ecologists, wherever they may be, in whatever time they work, this effort at prediction is dedicated in humility and admiration.
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct... from "Manual of Muad'dib" by the Princess Irulan
In the week before their departure to Arakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
The thing the ecologically illiterate don't realize about an ecosystem is that it's a system. A system! A system maintains a certain fluid stability that can be destroyed by a misstep in just one niche. A system has order, a flowing from point to point. If something dams the flow, order collapses. The untrained miss the collapse until too late. That's why the highest function of ecology is the understanding of consequences.
The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows — a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition. Languages known to have multiple-volumes: French, German,

Set in the far future amidst a sprawling feudal interstellar empire where planetary fiefdoms are controlled by noble Houses that owe an allegiance to the Imperial House Corrino, Dune tells the story of young Paul Atreides (heir apparent to Duke Leto Atreides and scion of House Atreides) as he and his family accept control of the desert planet Arrakis, the only source of the spice melange, the most important and valuable substance in the universe. The story explores the complex and multilayered interactions of politics, religion, ecology, technology, and human emotion, as forces of the Empire confront each other for control of Arrakis and its spice.

AR 5.7, 28 Pts
Foretold one gets dumped
in desert, then goes native.
Returns, beats baddies!
(ed.pendragon)
Fear the mind killer
Worm vomit expands the mind
Kwisatz Haderach
(amweb)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,624,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible