Writing Women's Lives: An Anthology of…

Writing Women's Lives: An Anthology of Autobiographical Narratives by…

by Susan Cahill (Editor)

Other authors: Shirley Abbott (Contributor), Jane Addams (Contributor), Dorothy Allison (Contributor), Maya Angelou (Contributor), Mary Antin (Contributor)44 more, Louise Bogan (Contributor), Hortense Calisher (Contributor), Bebe Moore Campbell (Contributor), Lorene Cary (Contributor), Sandra Cisneros (Contributor), Lucille Clifton (Contributor), Ann Cornelisen (Contributor), Mary Crow Dog (Contributor), Dorothy Day (Contributor), Joan Didion (Contributor), Annie Dillard (Contributor), Beverly Donofrio (Contributor), MFK Fisher (Contributor), Charlotte Perkins Gilman (Contributor), Nikki Giovanni (Contributor), Diane Glancy (Contributor), Ellen Glasgow (Contributor), Vivian Gornick (Contributor), Patricia Hampl (Contributor), Barbara Grizzuti Harrison (Contributor), Lillian Hellman (Contributor), bell hooks (Contributor), Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston (Contributor), Maureen Howard (Contributor), Zora Neale Hurston (Contributor), Joyce Johnson (Contributor), Jamaica Kincaid (Contributor), Maxine Hong Kingston (Contributor), Natalie Kusz (Contributor), Madeleine L'Engle (Contributor), Denise Levertov (Contributor), Audre Lorde (Contributor), Nancy Mairs (Contributor), Mary McCarthy (Contributor), Mary E. Mebane (Contributor), Kate Millett (Contributor), Jane O'Reilly (Contributor), Tillie Olsen (Contributor), May Sarton (Contributor), Florida Scott-Maxwell (Contributor), Kate Simon (Contributor), Eileen Simpson (Contributor), Eudora Welty (Contributor), Edith Wharton (Contributor)

Only partly finished this book, but the opening chapters and the introduction made it clear that these women need to be read more and that more women need to write.

I will put this book back on my to read list for when I have more time, because these writers lives deserve closer scrutiny, particularly as an aspiring novelist myself. ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |

ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
I loved this book so much. It has pushed me to try writers new to me (Madeleine L'Engle, Jane O'Reilly). I really love the diversity and beauty of women's voices.

Madeleine L'Engle, on the consequences of her husband's smoking, which was so fashionable once: "Consequences: cancer is a result of consequences. It is not sent as a punishment. I do not have to make the repulsive theological error of feeling that I have to see cancer as God's will for my husband. I do not want anything to do with that kind of God. Cancer is not God's will. The death of a child is not God's will. The deaths from automobile accidents during this long holiday weekend are not God's will. I would rather have no God at all than that kind of punitive God. Tragedies are consequences of human actions, and the only God worth believing in does not cause the tragedies but lovingly comes into the anguish with us."

Lucille Clifton: "Things don't fall apart. Things hold. Lines connect in thin ways that last and last and lives become generations made out of pictures and words just kept."

Feeds right into my current obsession with family photographs. ( )
  CatherineBurkeHines | Nov 28, 2018 |

Simon, KateContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simpson, EileenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Welty, EudoraContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wharton, EdithContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Representing fifty distinguished American women writers, this collection of autobiographical narratives reflects the diverse intersections of race, class, religion, and sexual identity as they have been experienced in every region of the United States over the course of the twentieth century. The selections showcase the common experiences of women writers as children, daughters, wives, lovers, mothers, artists, travelers, and intellectuals; together they form a moving cultural history of the United States form a moving cultural history of the United States from a female perspective. Among the different voices of these accomplished prose stylists, one hears a common note of humor and irreverence, and the ring of conviction and confidence that comes from a well-forged identity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:33 -0400)

An anthology of autobiographical narratives by twentieth-century American writers

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,741,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible